[MCN] Wilderness Lecture Series - Greg Rickel

Kelly, Patrick patrick.kelly at mso.umt.edu
Wed Feb 13 20:17:43 EST 2019

Hello there,

Please see the description below for the next installment in the 2019 Wilderness Lecture Series.  It will begin at 7pm on Tuesday, 2/19 in the Gallagher Business Building, Room 123 (UM campus).  Please let me know if you require any additional information.  Thanks!

Begin description:

Faith on the Front Lines

Christian scripture talks about the Earth from the very beginning: "Then God said, 'Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth." But how do faith communities define "dominion?" Is it a charge to protect wild places or permission to use them however people see fit? As the bishop of the Episcopal Dioceses of Olympia, Greg Rickel believes the former - but it took a conversion to get there.

Join us for this free public lecture and discussion on Tuesday, February 19 at 7 p.m. in Gallagher Business Building 123 on the University of Montana campus.

Rickel has served as bishop of the Episcopal Dioceses of Olympia since 2007. He has represented the Episcopal Church at the Earth Charter Meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, and was trained by Al Gore for the Climate Project. During his time as bishop, he has also developed a carbon offset program with the Diocese of the Southern Philippines (Mindanao). His talk is the fifth in the Wild Hope: Fearless Risk Takers, Art Markers and Storytellers on Wilderness and Conservation Front Lines lecture series, presented by the Wilderness Institute. The Wilderness Issues Lecture Series continues weekly until March 5.

http://www.cfc.umt.edu/wi/default.php

Contact: Joanna Campbell, Director of Education Programs, Wilderness Institute - 406-243-6956

Patrick Kelly, PhD
Wilderness Institute