[MCN] Exhibit Grand Opening! Outdoor Gear Stories from the Treasure State

Jessie Rogers jrogers at missoulacounty.us
Tue Jan 15 17:22:14 EST 2019

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Outdoor Gear Stories from the Treasure State:
75 Years of Outdoor Recreation History
Love outdoor recreation and all the gear that makes it possible? Join us for this interesting exhibit organized and installed by University of Montana students.
In a state featuring millions of acres of wilderness and world-class recreational opportunities, the gear that enables and enhances recreation has evolved over the decades into a central aspect of Montanan identity. This event will showcase the development of outdoor gear, share stories from the people who did it and allow ample time to ask questions from student researchers.
Over the last year, the University of Montana's Dr. Rachel Gross and students of her university courses "Public History" and "Wilderness and the Outdoor Industry" diligently conducted oral history interviews of area residents about their experiences with outdoor recreation, explored private outdoor gear collections, and borrowed a well-curated selection of artifacts to display for YOU.

Exhibit Grand Opening!
At the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula
Friday, January 25th: 6pm - 8pm
This exhibit provides the opportunity to track the changes and innovations to outdoor clothing and equipment technology in the post-World War II era. Outdoor connoisseurs will recognize, and museum visitors will enjoy items such as:

  *   Yvon Chouinard-designed ice axe
  *   Trapper Nelson packboard
  *   Old school Eddie Bauer sleeping bag
  *   Bulky miner's headlamp
  *   Old ski waxing equipment
  *   Handmade outdoor gear/clothing crafted by enthusiastic enjoyers of Montana's wild areas
  *   Many interesting artifacts which represent the changes in outdoor clothing/equipment technology since World War II

Be sure to swing by and explore this exhibit which will not only inform you about an interesting part of our local history but inspire you to get out and enjoy the outdoors!
Exhibit will be on display January 22, 2019 through April 21, 2019.

Sláinte (To Health!),

Jessie

Jessie Rogers
Development
Historical Museum at Fort Missoula
406-258-3479
Cell: 406-240-3967

"While we are living in the present, we must celebrate life every day, knowing that we are becoming history with every work, every action, every deed."  ---  Mattie Stepanek

Messages and attachments sent to or from this e-mail account may be considered public or private records depending on the message content. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and receivers of County email should presume that the email are subject to release upon request. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately, do not forward the message to anyone, and delete all copies.