[MCN] Interview with Fridays for Future organizer in Kampala, Uganda, Africa

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Nov 4 12:00:01 EST 2019

Excerpt : Nakabuye Hilda Flavia is a 22 year old climate activist and green campaigner living in Kampala, Uganda. She is studying at Kampala International University
pursuing a bachelor’s degree in procurement and supply change management. She loves nature and is an organizer in the Fridays for Future Uganda team. In addition to the Friday strikes
she also carries out a lake shore clean-up activity with a group of people every week to #Beat plastic pollution and preserve water resources in crisis.

Hilda, how did you learn about #FridaysForFuture and Greta Thunberg? How did you start organizing strikes in Kampala Uganda?

It was in 2015 that I started seeing changes in my grandmother’s garden. Her plantations were drying up since there was very little rainfall. We started bringing food and fruits to my grandma
instead of the other way around. Everything started becoming more expensive. I could see that the impacts of climate change were manifesting in my community and country. How we live and what we do has indeed built up towards this result. I knew that we needed to change but I didn’t know what to do.

I started reading more about climate change and I have been following Green Climate Campaign Africa on Twitter. I found out about Greta on Twitter too. I heard that she says “The only way to create change is by being part of it.” This made me think why don’t I become part of this to create change?

My friends didn’t want to stand on the streets so I did my first strike alone in front of the university. I felt scared and thought maybe I was doing something wrong. But I felt responsible and felt like I should do it. Many people were looking at me and started asking why I’m doing this. They asked me a lot actually and the first times they didn’t get what I’m doing. I had to explain why. After 6 hours I went back to my friends and told them that it felt very natural to become part of the change. Maybe a closed door opened. I wanted to show people what they can do and I wanted to do this often.

As I continued to do this people started telling me that I am right and that they have observed the same changes. I told them “Those what you are experiencing are all part of climate change!” I told them about Greta and what’s being done in other countries. I want people and the government to act. I want us to change the way we live!

https://www.ekoenergy.org/fridaysforfuture-uganda-our-interview-with-nakabuye-hilda/ <https://www.ekoenergy.org/fridaysforfuture-uganda-our-interview-with-nakabuye-hilda/>

Lifestyles - IPCC - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change <https://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg3/index.php?idp=413>
There are two reasons why lifestyles are an issue of climate policy. First, consumption patterns are an important factor in climate change since they have become ...

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - IPCC <https://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg3/index.php?idp=61>
1.4 Global Sustainability and Climate Change Mitigation ... the unsustainable lifestyles and patterns of production and consumption, and explores a broad range ...

[PDF]
Report - IPCC - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change <https://report.ipcc.ch/sr15/pdf/sr15_spm_final.pdf>
Hydrological Institute (SMHI), Sweden; the Ministry of Environment Natural . ...... lifestyles, including high demand for

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - IPCC <http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg3/index.php?idp=48>
Setting the Stage: Climate Change and Sustainable Development Contents ... 1.2.2 The Costs of Climate Change Mitigation ... 1.4.3.3 “Appropriate” Lifestyles

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - IPCC <http://ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg2/index.php?idp=350>
Today, as the scale of human impact on the environment increases, a range of ... that are exposed to changes in lifestyle and environmental and occupational ...

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - IPCC <https://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg3/index.php?idp=415>
Environmental education could be more effective than it has proved so far if it recognized that human behaviour hinges on lifestyle or self-awareness.

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - IPCC <https://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg2/index.php?idp=441>
... among other factors, demographic changes, urbanization and industrial development, trade and transport demands, and lifestyle changes, the coastal zones ...

Topic 2: Future changes, risks and impacts — IPCC <https://ar5-syr.ipcc.ch/topic_futurechanges.php>
https://ar5-syr.ipcc.ch › topic_futurechanges <https://ar5-syr.ipcc.ch/topic_futurechanges.php>
Topic 2 assesses projections of future climate change and the resulting risks and ... population growth, lifestyle and behavioural changes, associated changes in ...

What the new report on climate change expects from you - CNN <https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/08/world/ipcc-climate-change-consumer-actions-intl/index.html>
https://www.cnn.com › world › ipcc-climate-change-consumer-actions-intl <https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/08/world/ipcc-climate-change-consumer-actions-intl/index.html>
Oct 8, 2018 - A stark new report from the global scientific authority on climate ... But to do that, the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says, would ... change their lifestyle and consumption patterns to more sustainable ...