[MCN] Missoula Climate Strikers call out Missoula scientists and teachers

William Genadek gena0007 at umn.edu
Thu Sep 19 02:02:06 EDT 2019

“Why get an education when nobody listens to the educated?”

Students of Missoula are going on strike.  We are doing so in solidarity
with the scientific community’s consensus that the actions being taken to
address the climate crisis have failed.  And so, just as Greta Thunberg has
been urging the whole world to UNITE BEHIND THE SCIENCE, we are writing to
you, the local members of the scientific community, to ask you to UNITE
BEHIND THE STUDENTS.

As a part of the Global Climate Strike, this Friday, September 20 through
Friday, September 27, we will be striking everyday.  After that, we will go
on strike one Friday per month, and increase our pressure if needed to
force a change in our schools.

We are withholding our consent to be taught by teachers, and a school
district, that do not take seriously the ecological destruction of our
living world.  We are joining with students across the globe who can no
longer accept the lack of leadership and courage demonstrated by the adult
world, and in this case, educators.  We are deeply saddened that the burden
of fighting for a livable future has been left to children, and we look in
particular to the adults of the scientific community to help transform our
system.

Despite the overwhelming scientific consensus that our future is hurtling
towards catastrophe, our education seems more interested in preparing us to
compete in an outdated labor market that will soon be stranded, like most
assets, by climate change.  It is absurd that we students are supposed to
sit, listen, and put our trust into what is being taught, while the world
around us unravels. We refuse to just sit and listen any longer. We reject
a curriculum designed to reproduce the same system destroying our planet.
Our future is being stolen from us, and we will not comply. We demand
knowledge that helps us confront the many crises our generation has been
left with. Frankly, the real education lies in seeing how our local school
system and the adult world fail to respond to the writing on the wall.

Who are the brave scientists among Missoula’s scientific community?  Who
among you are wise enough to know that historical windows of opportunity,
such as Greta’s clear, radical message and her leadership in this global
climate strike, can close unexplored?  Are you smart enough to know you’re
getting lucky? It is time to take risks. It is time to, as Greta urges,
“leave the charted area, to get off the map, and do new stuff.” Support us.
Help us make our school administrations nervous by calling them and
speaking clearly about our dire situation.  Embolden local science teachers
and others to urge their classrooms to participate. Tell them you support
their students attending the week of alternative education we are
providing. Offer to help teach a class in the future. Maybe host it in
front of a coal train. Check out our student-organized schedule of
alternative education for next week at www.missoulaclimatestrike.org and
attend classes yourself.  Join us at our rally on Friday, September 20th in
Caras Park in Missoula to kick off our climate strike. Listen for the
demands we students will create on Friday the 27th following this week of
radical education. Now is the time to take risks and to UNITE BEHIND THE
STUDENTS.

Representing Students from Big Sky, Hellgate, Sentinel, Willard, and the
University of Montana,

Missoula Climate Strike

https://missoulaclimatestrike.org/

------------------------------

P.S. Call these local HS administrations and let them know they cannot
afford to be, to use their words, “viewpoint neutral” on the most important
existential crisis humanity has ever faced.  Tell them New York City’s
public school system has decided to treat our crisis as such
<https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/12/holy-smokes-thing-could-get-huge-nyc-public-schools-let-students-climatestrike>
and they should too.  Tell our new Superintendent Rob Watson to quit
illegally monitoring our social media.  Tell them to wait patiently for the
student’s demands on Friday the 27th and then be willing to transform our
education system.

Superintendent Rob Watson

Missoula County Public Schools

215 S. 6th Street West, Missoula, MT 59801

(406)728-2400

https://www.mcpsmt.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=1

Big Sky High School
3100 South Ave. West, Missoula, MT  59804
(406)728-2401

https://www.mcpsmt.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=11

Hellgate High School

925 Gerald Ave., Missoula, MT  59801