[MCN] In media coverage of climate change, where are the facts? Key facts often missed

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Sep 23 09:12:52 EDT 2019

News Release 19-Sep-2019
In media coverage of climate change, where are the facts?
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA - BERKELEY
The New York Times stands out for its coverage of the environment and climate change. Yet, says a UC Berkeley study, its articles on climate change seldom mention key facts behind the scientific consensus that global warming is real - facts that could sway skeptics or clear up confusion, even among climate activists. Such facts - for example, that climate change, once it happens, is permanent -- can easily be slipped into stories to inform the public.

JOURNAL
Environmental Research Communications
 <https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-09/uoc--imc091919.php>Fulll release https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-09/uoc--imc091919.php <https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-09/uoc--imc091919.php>

A study led by Susan Solomon found that the CO2 we add to the atmosphere every day remains there for centuries,
“so that atmospheric temperatures do not drop significantly for at least 1,000 years.”

<<https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/106/6/1704.full.pdf>>

"What would happen to the climate if we were to stop emitting carbon dioxide today, right now? Would we return to the climate of our elders?

"The simple answer is no.”

https://theconversation.com/if-we-stopped-emitting-greenhouse-gases-right-now-would-we-stop-climate-change-78882