[MCN] How the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists covered Thunberg's "How dare you!" speech

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Sep 29 09:23:46 EDT 2019

"The United Nations Climate Action Summit formally opened today in New York City, gathering world leaders to address topics like climate finance and cleaner energy.

"In between the high-level diplomatic speeches, 16-year-old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg spoke up, giving her already eloquent demands <https://thebulletin.org/2019/04/greta-thunberg-climate-change-eloquence/> for adult accountability a new, intensely moving, ferocity.

"If you watch the video above and don’t share in her anguish, well, take a deep look inward and watch it again.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMrtLsQbaok <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMrtLsQbaok>

Greta Thunberg boils the basics down to just 5 words: “… and it will get worse”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhQVustYV24 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhQVustYV24>

Climate scientists have made the same point

Camilo Mora: “ ….  our choices for deadly heat are now between more of it or a lot more of it.”
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1161/circoutcomes.117.004233 <https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1161/circoutcomes.117.004233>

Michael Mann: “But if we continue to burn fossil fuels ... we are going to ... get worse and worse droughts, and heat waves, and super storms, and floods, and wildfires.”
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/climate-change-is-making-wildfires-more-extreme-heres-how <https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/climate-change-is-making-wildfires-more-extreme-heres-how>

Kate Marvel: “The whole idea that everything’s going to work out isn’t really helpful because it isn’t going to work out ” said Kate Marvel a climate scientist at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies. Climate change is going to worsen to a point where millions of lives, homes, and species are put at risk she said.
https://newrepublic.com/article/151608/case-against-climate-pessimism <https://newrepublic.com/article/151608/case-against-climate-pessimism>

A prominent journalist, author of “The Uninhabitable Earth,” essentially repeats scientist Michael Mann

David Wallace-Wells
This Isn’t ‘the New Normal’ for Climate Change — That Will Be Worse

Perhaps because of the exhausting false debate about whether climate change is “real,” too many of us have developed a misleading impression that its effects are binary. But global warming is not “yes” or “no,” it is a function that gets worse over time as long as we continue to produce greenhouse gas.

And so the experience of life in a climate transformed by human activity is not just a matter of stepping from one stable environment into another, somewhat worse one, no matter how degraded or destructive the transformed climate is. The effects will grow and build as the planet continues to warm: from one degree to one-point-five to almost certainly two degrees and beyond. The last few months of climate disasters may look like about as much as the planet can take.

But things are only going to get worse.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/10/why-this-isnt-the-new-normal-for-climate-change.html <http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/10/why-this-isnt-the-new-normal-for-climate-change.html>

My own view: <<https://mountainjournal.org/why-rising-temps-mean-the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it>>