[MCN] Print journalism must "do better in covering the climate story." Columbia Journalism Review

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Apr 6 12:26:17 EDT 2020

Opening paragraphs

Dear Friends of CJR,

We are living in an unprecedented time. The coronavirus pandemic now sweeping the world is transforming everything it touches, from governments and health care to journalism. At CJR, we have, rightly, focused most of our coverage on the crisis, which you can read via our Covering the Pandemic page at cjr.org <https://cjr.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a23440a018c7ba0619c6f01e6&id=ca757e7c81&e=f5d709eccc>.
But the coronavirus is not the only crisis unfolding on our planet, which is why I’m writing to introduce you to CJR’s Spring 2020 print magazine, the Climate Issue. The coronavirus is a reminder of the looming threat we face from the climate crisis, which will continue even after this terrible pandemic ends. And it, like the coronavirus, will test journalism—test how we apply data and science, how we plan for global, amorphous threats, how we can prod national leaders to focus on catastrophes yet to come.

Frankly, most of the press has only recently awakened to the climate crisis, just as it was delayed grasping the seriousness of the pandemic. This issue is part of CJR’s rallying cry to do better in covering the climate story

Full story, with links to topical articles here <<https://mailchi.mp/cjr/our-new-issue-all-journalism-is-global-687989?e=f5d709eccc <https://mailchi.mp/cjr/our-new-issue-all-journalism-is-global-687989?e=f5d709eccc>>>

==============

Financial Times - March 28, 2018
Special Report <https://www.ft.com/reports>

How to make a carbon pricing system work
Compensation for those who lose out and sanctions on non-compliance are needed
MARTIN WOLF <https://www.ft.com/martin-wolf>

<<https://www.ft.com/content/2d9490f2-1291-11e8-a765-993b2440bd73 <https://www.ft.com/content/2d9490f2-1291-11e8-a765-993b2440bd73>>>

1st 2 sentences

“Carbon pricing is a good idea whose time has not yet come. But it has to do so.”

Closing paragraph

“Until now, therefore, carbon pricing remains a sleeping giant. Yet needed progress will not be achieved if it does not awake. The difficulties in meeting agreed objectives in our fractured world are enormous. The chances are high that the effort will fail. If so, our goose will be cooked.”