[MCN] Extreme action costs popular support for protest movements, new study finds

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Thu Apr 9 14:15:47 EDT 2020

News Release 8-Apr-2020
Extreme action costs popular support for protest movements, new study finds
UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO, ROTMAN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT
New research has found that social change advocates face an 'activist's dilemma.' While extreme actions can bring more attention to a cause than moderate ones, they are more likely to diminish support, even among natural sympathizers, the study found.

JOURNAL
Journal of Personality and Social Psychology
 <https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-04/uotr-eac040820.php>Full release https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-04/uotr-eac040820.php <https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-04/uotr-eac040820.php>

“We are living on the surface of this planet … and with its climate and atmosphere.
It has always been the task of mankind to find the right answer to the problem
these conditions set us, and even today we cannot think that we have found a
sufficient answer.”
p. 131

The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler
by Heinz L. and Rowena R. Ansbacher, eds.
1956. Basic Books