[MCN] Historical Museum at Fort Missoula receives Japanese American Confinement Sites grant

Jessie Rogers jrogers at missoulacounty.us
Tue Apr 28 16:39:48 EDT 2020

The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula awarded Japanese American Confinement Sites grant from the National Park Service

The National Park Service announced more than $3.1 million in Japanese American Confinement Sites grants to fund preservation, restoration and education projects throughout the country.

The 22 projects funded will help tell the stories of the more than 120,000 Japanese Americans, two-thirds of whom were U.S. citizens, imprisoned by the U.S. government during World War II following the attack on Pearl Harbor by the nation of Japan in 1941.

The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula is very pleased to announce that we are one of the 22 awardees to receive a grant from the Japanese American Confinement Sites Grant Program.

With these funds we will conduct an assessment of two original barracks moved back to the Museum grounds, which is the site of a former World War II Department of Justice internment camp. The assessment will guide the restoration of the buildings and plan for their historic interpretation.

“These grants help to preserve an important piece of our nation’s history, educating generations of visitors about the injustice of the World War II confinement of Japanese Americans,” said U.S. Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt.

“The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula does an incredible job of telling the story of our nation and Montana’s history,” said Montana Senator Steve Daines. “I’m glad to have supported this project and look forward to seeing it complete.”

The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula is very honored and thankful to receive this grant and appreciates the support we received from both Senators Daines and Tester.

For more details about these projects, visit https://www.nps.gov/subjects/internment/index.htm.

And to learn more about the WWII Fort Missoula Internment Center visit our website, www.fortmissoulamuseum.org<http://www.fortmissoulamuseum.org>,  or contact Matt Lautzenheiser at mlautzenheiser at missoulacounty.us<mailto:mlautzenheiser at missoulacounty.us> or 406-258-3471.

Jessie Rogers
Development & Communications Director

Please Join me in preserving our community's history
this Missoula Gives! April 30th & May 1st
[cid:49e11d0d-4d34-467e-b700-2a9d53ef67f1]<https://outlook.office365.com/mail/options/mail/issoulagives.org/organizations/friends-of-the-historical-museum-at-fort-missoula>

Messages and attachments sent to or from this e-mail account may be considered public or private records depending on the message content. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and receivers of County email should presume that the emails are subject to release upon request. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately, do not forward the message to anyone, and delete all copies.