[MCN] Please check out The Hive: A Missoula Education Collaborative

lisa marie profetamoon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 13:02:29 EDT 2020

Dear Missoula Community,

We’re inspired by your work, and we’re excited to share what we’re creating.

WHO WE ARE:

The Hive: A Missoula Education Collaborative!

Our mission is to empower community choice and together create a
decentralized education model which supports whole-person wellness and
self-directed learning, and nourishes a spirit of interbeing.

The Hive is a central hub where the community of Missoula can coordinate
learning pods, connect directly with local educators, share educational
resources, and live into a world where education is multi-generational, in
the hands of the children as much as the adults, free for those receiving
it, supportive for those offering it, consent-based, radically
compassionate, and in service to all.

The Hive is a resource for anyone in Missoula who shares our mission of
accessible, alternative education. We believe that we all belong to each
other, and there is no such thing as ‘someone else's child.’ We will ensure
Hive offerings are accessible to all, regardless of age, income, race,
physical or neurological uniqueness, sexual orientation, gender identity,
citizenship, or any other beautiful manifestations of humanity.

website:

The Hive website features a list of highly-skilled local educators along
with their classes, COVID-19 protection plan, contact information, and
more. All offerings are free.

The site also links to additional educational resources, both local and
global.

Families, pods, and individuals can use the site to find educators
(including artists, counselors, craftspeople, etc.) to enrich and diversify
their learning experience.

listserv:

By joining this listserv, you'll be able to easily and efficiently
coordinate with learning and social pods, share information and resources,
and ask for community support regarding child-care and education needs.

To sign up, visit https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/hive_missoulaedu and
click "subscribe." You can also send an email, from the address you wish to
subscribe with, to sympa at lists.riseup.net. In the subject line, write
"Subscribe hive_missoulaedu Firstname Lastname" [your own first and last
name].

Once you’re subscribed, any emails you send to
hive_missoulaedu at lists.riseup.net  will be delivered to all other
subscribers upon approval by the moderators (who monitor for spam and to
ensure relevance).

Our listserv is run by volunteers using the incredible resource of Riseup (
https://riseup.net/). Their mission, as taken from their homepage, is to
"provide online communication tools for people and groups working on
liberatory social change. [They] are a project to create democratic
alternatives and practice self-determination by controlling our own secure
means of communications."

patreon:

The Hive is a free resource, and we trust that our community will
contribute as they are able. Donations will go directly to all of the
educators involved, so they can continue to teach sustainably. We aspire to
offer our teachers $50/hr using the funds from our Patreon account.
Educators who don’t need the financial support are welcome to put those
earnings back into the Hive.

Our Patreon page explains the donation process in detail. We encourage you
to think of the Hive as a resource similar to the public library. We
contribute so that it can exist freely for all, especially for the most
financially insecure members of our community.

When individuals, families, and businesses donate to the Hive, they invest
directly in their community’s well-being. This invites a shift from asking,
‘What is this specific class worth to me or my family?’ to ‘What is the
value of this resource (the Hive) existing for the whole community?’ Let’s
take collective responsibility for all of Earth’s children.

HOW TO BE INVOLVED:

organizers:

For people who are interested in getting their eyes and hands on as much of
the details as possible and/or necessary in order for this project to
continue blossoming as elegantly and effectively as possible. Commitment to
regular meetings (~2x/week), reliable contact via phone/email, and
significant time put towards the Hive’s behind the scenes.

supporters:

For those who wish to actively, actionably support the Hive and can’t
commit to a specific weekly schedule around it. Commitment to joining a
thread or sub list-serve to receive requests from organizers asking for
assistance with endeavors ranging from reaching out to so and so, to
contacting what's their name, to investigating a thingamabob. A flexible
yet vitally important group.

educators:

For skilled members of our community who wish to be featured, along with
their offering(s), on the Hive website. Commitment to an application
process and a training focused on incorporating unconditional compassion
and power-with approaches into one’s teaching methods.

If you wish to be an educator with the Hive, please send the following to
hivemissoulaedu at gmail.com :

1) name, photo, pertinent bio

2) description of your offering(s)

3) how to contact you

4) your covid-19 protection plan

participants:

Applicable to all those who contribute to the Hive in the aforementioned
ways, as well as: learners and students who join in the offerings;
community members who share this vision through word of mouth; subscribers
to our Patreon page; and the other community organizations who we are able
to collaborate with (hopefully, many!)

We're excited to introduce the Hive, and we hope to hear from you soon. If
you are interested and have questions, please contact us directly. We will
host a live Q&A regarding the Hive in the weeks to come for anyone who’d
like to learn more.

Let's give students diverse opportunities that honor their autonomy. Let's
provide educators a wage that allows them to thrive in the profession.
Let's build an educational resource that centers the needs and interests of
our community.

We look forward to hearing from you!

EMAIL: hivemissoulaedu at gmail.com
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fgmail.com%2F&h=AT3hxVuIv7xpTRIIbpVjc5KGvXEaK4kDfL3-bC6L4SMUGOiwoMF6E-6oOxXpSlXGHuHdGyMl5raAbapldHKnaMMhVoiVZ21XJ7noFMgBhszGt6h0_RlgnH5ialDKrTtCVmrRR9I&__tn__=-UK-R&c%5B0%5D=AT0cbU-pBdHqwxEwBVTLWcSnp_7zu8DaCyAsuzlk8Dg13UgkY96iaf3MqsMBwLcdfMzMqkG_fJYtSSnxJZ6Z-iM6oa2OLaGG_7hyu_UCbqYqfrW0fQnR0Gw_XRGMHDUuRmjezeJBZb4n-f-hTVgota05CMXAA6HXTSRSXsyqiACw_Jfaj2vYi3hk_KCaNuobcbRcKT6TAw>

Thank you for your time and all you are doing for our community.

Sincerely,

The Hive: A Missoula Education Collaborative

https://www.thehivemissoula.com/