[MCN] Breaking Election News from Missoula County Commissioner Juanita Vero

Jim Parker westridgecreative at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 15:23:06 EST 2020

**

*PRESS RELEASE*

*_For Immediate Release_:_For more information_:*

                     Thursday, January 16, 2020Juanita Vero, (406)
*360-5821*

*Missoula County Commissioner Juanita Vero Files for 2020 Election*

/Missoula, MT./ Fourth generation, lifelong resident of Missoula County
and current County Commissioner Juanita Vero filed her intention to run
as the Democratic candidate in the 2020 race for Missoula County
Commissioner. Commissioner Vero waited until January 9, 2020 (the first
day to legally file for candidacy) to officially signal her entry in the
race but has had her campaign running full speed for a few months.

Born and raised on the E Bar L Ranch out in Greenough in the Blackfoot
River valley, she has worked many years to support and manage the
business her great grandparents began in the early 1920s. The ranch is
one of Montana’s oldest family-owned and operated dude ranches.

Prior to her appointment as a Missoula County Commissioner in mid-2019,
and beyond her work on the ranch, Vero chaired or sat on executive
committees for some of our county’s most prestigious conservation and
nonprofit boards of directors including: Montana Conservation Voters,
Big Blackfoot Chapter of Trout Unlimited, Sunset School Board, Swan
Valley Connections, and Missoula County Open Lands Committee.

“I’m running to retain my seat because I believe in what this commission
can do,” said Vero. “I’m running because I believe in the Missoula
County staff and citizens I work with daily. I want our county employees
to have the agency to provide the best service they can, and for
citizens to know they’ve been heard by county leaders and empowered to
create the community in which they want to live.”

As a fourth generation rancher, Vero has extensive experience navigating
the tricky dynamics of family, age, gender, race, class, and philosophy
to help their enterprise be successful.

Most of the ranch’s 4,000 acres, plus an additional 4,000 leased acres,
are under conservation easement with the Nature Conservancy and Five
Valleys Land Trust. The ranch also provides public access under Fish
Wildlife and Parks’ Block Management program for yearly fall hunting
opportunities. The ranch maintains a herd of 100 horses, hires 30
seasonal summer staff, has four year-round managers, and serves about 40
guests a week, June-September.

Commissioner Juanita Vero is proud of her roots, giving her an authentic
rural voice to add to the voices of the other two commissioners, Josh
Slotnick and Dave Strohmaier.

“I grew up in the Blackfoot Valley where we are wary of attorneys and
lawyering up isn’t our style,” said Vero. “We embrace the 80/20 rule
where we leave the 20% we can’t agree on at the door and focus our work
upon the 80% we do agree on. It has fostered a culture of collaboration
and trust in private/public partnerships.”

Unlike an incorporated city such as Missoula, a county commission is
limited to doing only what the state expressly allows it to do. And Vero
is running because of what she believes the commission /can do/. It is
not uncommon these days, as one walks within the County offices, to hear
employees and citizens alike suggesting with a smile, ‘there hasn’t been
such a diverse and positive commission like this for a generation’.

Commissioners are each one third of a governing body. As a commissioner,
nothing is achieved alone. And if pressed to speak to accomplishments
and pride in the work before her, Vero is ready with a response.

“As a Commission we are all committed to cracking this affordable
housing/wage gap nut, we’re exploring ways to adjust our taxing system
so it’s more equitable and the burden does not rest so heavily on
property owners, we’re planning for 100% clean electricity by year 2030,
and we believe in being pro-business and industry while at the same time
adhering to our conservation ethics of protecting working lands, open
space, agricultural soil, wildlife and riparian habitats.”

The campaign ahead will give Vero ample time, along with her daily
duties as a Commissioner, to meet with Community Councils and citizens
around the county. Whether Frenchtown, Target Range, Lolo and East
Missoula or Bonner, Potomac, Seeley Lake and Condon she plans on
attending meetings and listening deeply to community concerns.

“I have a joyful, collaborative disposition which has prepared me to
navigate tight budgets with heavy missions,” said Vero. “Having that
broad watershed, ridge top to ridge top perspective, and seeing where we
can best work together is the culture I come from. I truly respect and
trust our citizen voices and efforts. This is what I bring to the
Commission every day on the job.”

*To contact the campaign please visit:* juanitaforcommissioner.com
<https://juanitaforcommissioner.com/>.

###

/__/

/_Notable endorsements include_//:/*Dave Strohmaier *(Missoula County
Commissioner), *Josh Slotnick *(Missoula County Commissioner), *John
Engen *(Mayor of Missoula), *T.J. McDermott *(Missoula County Sheriff),
*Tyler Gernant *(Missoula County Clerk and Treasurer), *Erin Lipkind
*(County Superintendent of Schools), *Barbara Berens* (Former Missoula
County Auditor), *Jack Rich *(Outfitter),*Tracy Stone-Manning
*(Vice-President, National Wildlife Federation), *Bonnie Buckingham
*(Executive Director, Community and Food Agriculture Coalition), *Land
Tawney *(Executive Director, Backcountry Hunters and Anglers), *Karen
Knudsen *(Executive Director, Clarkfork Coalition), *Amber Sherrill,*
(City Council, W4), *Katie Carlson *(CEO, Soula Realty*), Addrien Marx
*(President, Montana Wilderness Association).

*__*

//

/Paid for by Friends of Juanita Vero for Missoula County Commissioner,
Democrat, PO Box 2863,/

/Missoula, MT., 59806. Barbara Berens, Treasurer./