[MCN] New Exhibit at the Historical Museum: FIRE CALL! An Exhibit about the History of US Forest Service Back Country Communications

Jessie Rogers jrogers at missoulacounty.us
Wed Jun 10 14:50:00 EDT 2020

The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula Debuts FIRE CALL! An Exhibit about the History of US Forest Service Back Country Communications
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D63F25.A56AFB80]

Along with reopening to the public, the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula brings you a fascinating exhibit, featuring the intriguing technologies the US Forest Service used over the years to communicate to and from the nation's vast backcountry.
Fire CALL!! has been in creation for well over a year and is a truly collaborative exhibit. In addition to the artifacts from the HMFM Collection, a good portion of the eclectic mix of objects were generously lent to HMFM by our friends at the National Museum of Forest Service History, Museum board member Steve Bixby, the Region One Historic Preservation Team, Libby Langston, and Jack Puckett.

Just a few items you can expect to see in Fire CALL!

  *   Experimental modes of distant communication in the exhibit include, but aren't limited to:
     *   heliographs,
     *   semaphores,
     *   carrier pigeons,
     *   even dynamite,
  *   You will also learn about fire lookouts and Clyde Fickes, how to run a telephone line, the Forest Service fire ecology (including Smokey Bear), and the history of women gaining a footing in the male-dominated Forest Service.
A common comment about the exhibit is, "Wow! What a Forest Service town Missoula has been from the get-go!" Early innovators, the School of Forestry, the Smokejumpers, Region One headquarters, etc. has helped mold Missoula into what it is today.
You will also see the incredible remodeling job of our North Gallery by HMFM friend Steve Bixby, with a small ranger station assembled with wood sawed on our grounds by the Society of American Foresters steam-powered sawmill, an implied lookout tower with a view to a smoking ridge through window-panes made to standard by the Region One Historic Preservation Team, and a telephone line strung with wire and insulators.
To learn more about the exhibit, Fire CALL!, contact Ted Hughes at thughes at missoulacounty.us<mailto:thughes at missoulacounty.us> or visit our website, https://fortmissoulamuseum.org/north-gallery/, for a more history about the creation of this exhibit.
Come see our new exhibit FIRE CALL! Learn! Enjoy!
On display until Spring/Summer 2021

Jessie Rogers
Development & Communications Director
The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula

"Do your little bit of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world."
-Desmond Tutu

Messages and attachments sent to or from this e-mail account may be considered public or private records depending on the message content. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and receivers of County email should presume that the emails are subject to release upon request. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately, do not forward the message to anyone, and delete all copies.