[MCN] Without carbon pricing, "our goose is cooked"

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed Mar 11 18:36:51 EDT 2020

Financial Times - March 28, 2018
Special Report <https://www.ft.com/reports>

How to make a carbon pricing system work
Compensation for those who lose out and sanctions on non-compliance are needed
MARTIN WOLF <https://www.ft.com/martin-wolf>

<<https://www.ft.com/content/2d9490f2-1291-11e8-a765-993b2440bd73 <https://www.ft.com/content/2d9490f2-1291-11e8-a765-993b2440bd73>>>

1st 2 sentences

“Carbon pricing is a good idea whose time has not yet come. But it has to do so.”

Closing paragraph

“Until now, therefore, carbon pricing remains a sleeping giant. Yet needed progress will not be achieved if it does not awake. The difficulties in meeting agreed objectives in our fractured world are enormous. The chances are high that the effort will fail. If so, our goose will be cooked.”

“Localized ecological systems are known to shift abruptly and irreversibly from one state to another when they are forced across critical thresholds.
Here we review evidence that the global ecosystem as a whole can react in the same way and is approaching a planetary-scale critical transition
as a result of human influence."

Barnovsky et al. Approaching a state shift in Earth’s biosphere. Nature Volume 486, 07 June 2012
<<https://www.nature.com/articles/nature11018>>