[MCN] If you read just 1 book on climate, try a short, fast-paced, plain-language book praised by scientists who know the topic

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Mar 20 11:38:16 EDT 2020

This is also a must-read book for Bullock’s climate and grizzly councils, and for state and federal agency staff right down to local office level

The Long Thaw: How Humans are Changing the Next 100,000 Years of Earth’s Climate, David Archer (Princeton University Press, 2009).

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2008/01/our-books/ <http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2008/01/our-books/>

Reviews:

This is the best book about carbon dioxide and climate change that I have read. David Archer knows what he is talking about
James Hansen, NASA

[An] enjoyable and fast-paced treatise. . . . Archer leads the reader to a simple yet accurate picture of climate changes, ranging from geological time scales to current warming, ice ages and prospects for the future.
—Susan Solomon, Nature

In this short book, David Archer gives us the latest on climate change research, and skillfully tells the climate story that he helped to discover: generations beyond our grandchildren’s grandchildren will inherit atmospheric changes and an altered climate as a result of our current decisions about fossil-fuel burning. Not only are massive climate changes coming if we humans continue on our current path, but many of these changes will last for millennia. To make predictions about the future, we rely on research into the deep past, and Archer is at the forefront of this field: paleoclimatology. This is the book for anyone who wishes to really understand what cutting-edge science tells us about the effects we are having, and will have, on our future climate.
Richard B. Alley, Penn State University

Books on climate change tend to focus on what is expected to happen this century, which will certainly be large, but they often neglect the even larger changes expected to take place over many centuries. The Long Thaw looks at climate effects beyond the twenty-first century is unique.
Jeffrey T. Kiehl, NCAR

A great book. What sets it apart is that it expands the discussion of the impacts of global warming beyond the next century and convincingly describes the effects that are projected for the next few thousand years. What also sets it apart is how deeply it takes general readers into the scientific issues of global warming by using straightforward explanations of often complex ideas.
Peter J. Fawcett, University of New Mexico

<<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2008/01/our-books/ <http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2008/01/our-books/>>>

"Around 30% of the world’s population is currently exposed to climatic conditions exceeding this deadly threshold for at least 20 days a year.”

“We do not quantify human deaths per se because the extent of human mortality will be considerably modified by social adaptation (for example, use of air conditioning, early warning systems, and so on (18–20). Although social adaptation could reduce the exposure to deadly heat (18–20), it will not affect the occurrence of such conditions. Given the speed of climatic changes and numerous physiological constraints, it is unlikely that human physiology will evolve the necessary higher heat tolerance (21,22), highlighting that outdoor conditions will remain deadly even if social adaptation is broadly implemented. “

Mora et al. Global risk of deadly heat. Nature Climate Change. Published online 19 June 2017
DOI: 10.1038/NCLIMATE3322