[MCN] Do jobs, including renewable jobs, have to be dependent on high levels of consumption beyond the meeting of need?

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sat May 16 20:34:07 EDT 2020

“ … we are committed to a high level of consumption because, whether we need the goods or not, we very much need the employment their production provides.”

John K. Galbraith. “How much should a country consume?”

In Jarrett, Henry (editor), Perspectives on Conservation. John Hopkins Press. 1958

“Contrary to the expectation that surviving trees have weathered severe drought, the hydraulic deterioration demonstrated here reveals that surviving regions of these forests are actually more vulnerable to future droughts due to accumulated xylem damage.”

WILLIAM R. L. ANDEREGG et al. Drought’s legacy: multiyear hydraulic deterioration underlies widespread aspen forest die-off and portends increased future risk. Global Change Biology (2013) 19, 1188–1196, doi: 10.1111/gcb.12100