[MCN] Historical Museum at Fort Missoula Regretfully Cancels the 44th Annual Old-Fashioned 4th of July Celebration

Jessie Rogers jrogers at missoulacounty.us
Tue May 26 16:20:26 EDT 2020

Historical Museum at Fort Missoula Regretfully Cancels the 44th Annual Old-Fashioned 4th of July Celebration

For over four decades Montanans have attended the Old-Fashioned 4th of July Celebration at Fort Missoula and the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula is so very thankful to have been able to celebrate our community and country each Independence Day.

However, we are in extraordinary times and due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the leadership of the Historical Museum has made the difficult decision to cancel this year’s celebration for the safety of our community, volunteers, and staff.  Currently, the Historical Museum is limiting all groups to a maximum of 50 people with proper physical distancing.  Unfortunately, this restriction makes a large community celebration like the Annual 4th at the Fort impossible.

We want to thank our community and each of you for your support and working together to protect our community during the COVID-19 pandemic. Just like in 1918, when the flu ravaged our world, nation, and state, these tough decisions are what we each need to do to protect those we hold dear and our communities.

On behalf of the staff and Boards of the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula, we wish you all continued good health, and we look forward to the day when we can gather again to celebrate our nation’s Independence Day.

While our annual celebration has been canceled, the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula will reopen to the public on June 1st with reduced summer hours. This includes outside exhibits and buildings on the grounds.

Reduced Hours of Operation:

  *   Monday -Saturday: 10am-4pm
  *   Sunday: Noon – 4pm
  *   Hours of 10am-12pm will be reserved for vulnerable populations.
  *   The Museum will close at 4pm each day for cleaning and sanitizing.

We are working to install new safety and cleaning protocols and ask our community to help keep all our staff, volunteers, and visitors safe.  Please respect the following guidelines when visiting.

  *   We ask all visitors to wear a mask while in the main museum building
  *   Please respect physical distancing practices
  *   Please sign in with your contact information
  *   HMFM will limit the number of visitors in the main museum building to 10
  *   Please take advantage of free hand sanitizer
  *   Please respect traffic patterns in our galleries

All Collections and/or Book donations accepted by pre-arranged appointment only. NO EXCEPTIONS.

  *   Collections donations, contact Ted Hughes: 258-3472, thughes at missoulacounty.us<mailto:thughes at missoulacounty.us>
  *   Book donations, contact Matt Lautzenheiser: 258-3471, mlautzenheiser at missoulacounty.us<mailto:mlautzenheiser at missoulacounty.us>

Our open plan hinges on the community continuing to show no increase in COVID-19 cases and procedures put in place by the Missoula County Health Department and Governor’s Office.

If you have any questions or would like to know more about our open plan, safety protocols, hours of operation, events or rentals queries, collection/book donations, or any other concerns, please contact  Matt Lautzenheiser, Executive Director Ph# 406 -258-3471 or mlautzenheiser at missoulacounty.us<mailto:mlautzenheiser at missoulacounty.us>.

As a public organization, our primary concern is the safety and well-being of the Missoula Community.  Please remember to physical distance when you are enjoying the Historical Museum. Thank you for your understanding at this challenging time for our country. Stay well, friends.

Jessie Rogers
Development & Communications Director

Thank you for supporting our community During Missoula & Bitterroot Gives. You helped raise over $780,000 for 138 local nonprofits. THANK YOU!

"Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world."

–Desmond Tutu

Messages and attachments sent to or from this e-mail account may be considered public or private records depending on the message content. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and receivers of County email should presume that the emails are subject to release upon request. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately, do not forward the message to anyone, and delete all copies.