[MCN] September writing workshop

Maria Anderson mariauanderson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 11:00:00 EDT 2020

Want to spend more time writing this fall?

Join a fun class for adults of all experience levels (journalers, people
who write for work but want to do something more creative, published
writers who want dedicated writing time), and start building a writing
routine with a supportive community.

Email me if you're interested in signing up, or if you'd like to be kept in
the loop for future classes.

Story Elements I (fiction & nonfiction)
Thursdays, 5-7pm mst (7-9 est) on Zoom, 5 weeks, Sept. 10-Oct. 8
$150

*explore the building blocks of fiction & nonfiction stories: character,
point of view, setting, and plot through freewrites, brief readings, and
fun worksheets *receive feedback on your writing (each student submits a
story, up to 5,000 words)
*only time commitment outside of class is reading and commenting on peers’
work

*Week 1: Characters *
Worksheet for developing vivid characters.

*Week 2: Point of View & Student Workshops*
Who is telling our story and why? Who is the audience?

*Week 3: Setting & Student Workshops*
How can the setting of our stories (where they take place) play into plot
and character development?

*Week 4: Plot & Student Workshops*
Tools for using plot mapping to navigate the raw, subconscious power of our
stories.

*Week 5: Revision Strategies & Student Workshops*

Concrete methods of mapping, trimming, expanding, & reconfiguring our
writing.

Publishing talk.

Click here <https://bozemanwritingclasses.wordpress.com/> for more info, or
if you're interested in one-on-one manuscript consultations.

*About the instructor: *My writing has appeared/is forthcoming in *Best
American Short Stories
<https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Best_American_Short_Stories_2018/1RpDDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover>,
McSweeney's, Sewanee Review, Alpinist, Rock & Ice, Outside Bozeman,*
and* Edible
Bozeman*. I have an MFA in Fiction from the U. of Wyoming, and a BA in
Literary Arts from Brown U.