[MCN] Historical Museum hosts Photographic Memories: A Story of Shinjitsu Book Talk Sept 30th

Jessie Rogers jrogers at missoulacounty.us
Tue Sep 15 14:02:21 EDT 2020

The Historical Museum Hosts a Virtual Book Talk: Photographic Memories: A Story of Shinjitsu
Zoom Webinar on Wednesday, Sept 30th at 7pm MST
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D68B58.107B0950]
Imagine: you're a budding successful photographer in California with a bright future, and then on December 7th, 1941 everything changes. Midori Shimoda could have never imagined the trajectory that his life would take for the next few years, especially his internment at Fort Missoula.
Join authors Risa Shimoda (Midori's daughter), and Bob Fleshner for a discussion of their book: Photographic Memories: A Story of Shinjitsu live via zoom. Risa will share stories from the book about her father's fascinating biography complete with an unaccompanied trip across the Pacific as a child, finding refuge in Utah, arrest under suspicion of espionage, and the courage to begin a new life in a new city.

  *   Book Talk: Photographic Memories
     *   Wed, Sept 30th at 7pm MST
     *   Zoom Webinar - Register HERE<https://fortmissoulamuseum.org/register/>
     *   Authors: Risa Shimoda and and Bob Fleshner

Reviewers have offered moving responses to having read this biography of Midori Shimoda and the testimonials include excerpts from a recent conversation with Winston Groom, author of Forrest Gump.
"This is a compelling, fascinating biography that tells the story of Midori Shimoda who was not only a photographer, but a really good photographer." Winston offers about the man whose liberty was taken from him for being Japanese in the wake of Executive Order 9066, which authorized the evacuation of 120,000 Japanese from west coast states to detention centers across the country. Winston continued, "He was pursuing a profession that was about the worst he could have, under the circumstances: his story is explained in a lovely way."
"Dad's unlikely journey included: a three-week long, trans-Pacific, ocean crossing without family or friends at the age of nine; a perilous evacuation from California immediately after the bombing of Pearl Harbor; refuge with a Mormon family in Utah; arrests for suspected espionage; and federal internment he had so earnestly sought to avoid," notes Midori's daughter and co-author Risa Shimoda.   "Amazingly," she continues, "his path intersected with an extraordinary assortment of individuals, including Grace Kelly, Fay Wray, J. Edgar Hoover, and Betty Hutton."
Co-author Bob Fleshner, loves Winston's final thoughts. "He offered this: 'I read a good bit. In fact, I'm always reading a number of books at the same time and never get through somewhere between a third and half of them. I'll put down books as soon as I get bored, but I didn't think about putting this to the side until I'd finished it. It's a first-class book that belongs in bookstores everywhere.' "
Discussion will include a Q & A with the authors and webinar will be recorded and made available on the Museum's website, https://fortmissoulamuseum.org/book-talk-photographic-memories/.
Visit https://fortmissoulamuseum.org/book-talk-photographic-memories/ for more information about the upcoming book talk or contact Kristjana Eyjólfsson: 258-3473 or keyjolfsson at missoulacounty.us<mailto:keyjolfsson at missoulacounty.us>.

Contact Authors:
                                                                                                                Risa Shimoda    +1 301 502 6548
September 15, 2020                                                                  Bob Fleshner    + 1 301 520 9511
info at photographicmemoriesbook.com<mailto:info at photographicmemoriesbook.com>

Jessie Rogers
Development & Communications Director
Historical Museum at Fort Missoula
406-258-3479
Cell: 406-240-3967

"While we are living in the present, we must celebrate life every day, knowing that we are becoming history with every work, every action, every deed."  ---  Mattie Stepanek

Messages and attachments sent to or from this e-mail account may be considered public or private records depending on the message content. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and receivers of County email should presume that the emails are subject to release upon request. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately, do not forward the message to anyone, and delete all copies.