[MCN] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Habitat receives unsolicited $100, 000 donation

Abby Lynes impact at habitatmsla.org
Wed Mar 24 14:59:47 EDT 2021

For Immediate Release

Contact: Abby Lynes, Impact & Engagement Director

Email: impact at habitatmsla.org

Office: 406-549-8210

Cell: 406-403-2429

Creating a new path: Habitat receives unsolicited $100,000 donation

Upon opening the mail, Habitat for Humanity of Missoula employees recently
received a surprise -- a big one.

HfHM was gifted a $100,000 check from a donor who wishes to remain
anonymous. The donation was unsolicited, given to the organization by
someone who wanted to make a difference in addressing Missoula’s affordable
housing crisis and believed in Habitat’s mission to create strength,
stability and self-reliance through shelter.

“We are delighted that Habitat placed a stake in the ground with a plan of
how to tackle our affordability crisis. They dared to think big, and it
takes a leap of faith for the rest of us to follow. Giving them the
financial support they need to see their goals materialize is important to
us,” the donor said.

The donation was one of the largest individual gifts Habitat has received
to date, and will help propel the organization toward its 30 by 30 goal to
be building 30 homes a year by 2030. It’s a goal that’s been called
ambitious, and it’s been called audacious. It’s something that hasn’t been
done before, but it’s achievable, Habitat Executive Director Heather Harp
said.

“There’s no trail of breadcrumbs we’re following”, Harp said. “But with the
help of many Missoulians, we’re creating a path forward to address
affordability.”

When donors give to Habitat, they’re demonstrating confidence in its vision
for Missoula. Impact & Engagement Director Abby Lynes said she hopes the
anonymous donor’s giving will inspire others, as it will take the time,
money, and effort of people and organizations from across the community to
get Habitat to its 30 by 30 goal.

“It’s exciting to see our Missoula already stepping up to the plate to
build much-needed homes people can afford,” she said. “We are so incredibly
grateful for this donation, and we believe it is reflective of the
generosity, kindness and ingenuity of members of our community.”

###

About Habitat for Humanity of Missoula: Since 1991 Habitat has created
decent, affordable  homes alongside local families earning 40 to 80% of the
median area income. These homes are then sold to the families who helped
construct them through a unique program to keep payments within the
family’s means. This process, called Habitat’s 30-30-0-250 mortgage
program, allows families to purchase a 30-year mortgage, with payments set
at 30% of their income, zero interest, and the contribution of 250 hours of
“sweat equity” work as the home is built.

This year, Habitat is constructing three homes alongside hard working
partner families who will soon be announced. These homes will be built in
East Missoula, bringing much-needed affordable housing to the area.

Habitat for Humanity of Missoula’s office and retail location, the Habitat
ReStore, are located at 3655 MT Highway 200 East, Missoula, MT 59802. For
more information, call 549-8210 or visit www.habitatmsla.org

*Abby Lynes*
Impact & Engagement Director - Habitat for Humanity of Missoula