[MCN] 30 by 30

John Meyer john at cottonwoodlaw.org
Thu Mar 25 23:53:42 EDT 2021

President Biden has issued an Executive Order that commits the United States to what he calls  the “30 by 30" goal, which means conserving 30% of the nation's lands and waters in a "natural state" by 2030.

The Forest Service will be logging the pristine lands below as part of its Bozeman Municipal Watershed Project. This stand is located within an area that was previously proposed to be designated as the South Cottonwood Wilderness Study Area. Former Representative Pat Williams got the proposed legislation through the House of Representatives, but it did not make it out of the Senate. All trees in the photo below that are not painted orange will be cut down as part of the BMW project.

Should we leave the area in its natural state to help us reach our 30 by 30 goal?

Learn more about 30 by 30 here <https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/17/biden-public-lands-waters-30-by-30>.

John Meyer
Executive Director & General Counsel
Cottonwood Environmental Law Center
P.O. Box 412 Bozeman, MT 59771
John at Cottonwoodlaw.org <mailto:John at Cottonwoodlaw.org>
(406) 546-0149

Lawsuits get things done. Click here <https://www.cottonwoodlaw.org/> to support our legal work.