[MCN] So very radical - Defying their government, young Chinese engage in protest against business-as-usual lifestyles

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sat Nov 6 10:43:34 EDT 2021

South China Morning Post [ Hong Kong ] Published 24 Oct, 2021

Explainer | What is ‘lying flat’, and why are Chinese officials standing up to it?
Ji Siqi <https://www.scmp.com/author/ji-siqi> He Huifeng <https://www.scmp.com/author/he-huifeng> in Guangdong and Brian Peach <https://www.scmp.com/author/brian-peach>

Excerpt

“‘Lying flat ‘ essentially means doing the bare minimum to get by, and striving for nothing more than what is absolutely essential for one’s survival.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3153362/what-lying-flat-and-why-are-chinese-officials-standing-it
———————————————————————————

Chinese Millennials Are Giving Up the Rat Race to 'Lie Flat' <https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-lying-flat-took-chinas-overworked-millennials-by-storm>
https://www.thedailybeast.com › how-lying-flat-took-ch... <https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-lying-flat-took-chinas-overworked-millennials-by-storm>

Jul 7, 2021 — Lying flat, or tang ping in Chinese, describes a phenomenon among young people who, instead of striving for higher pay and social status in life …
—————————————————————————

Lessons from those prone to protest | Brantford Expositor <https://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/opinion/lessons-from-those-prone-to-protest>
Oct 8, 2021 — Around the world, young people are fed up with an empty, driven, materialistic lifestyle — and they're taking it lying down.
———————————————————————————

Why many Gen Z youth are 'lying flat' on climate change <https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion/article/3149958/why-many-gen-z-youth-are-lying-flat-climate-change>

Sep 25, 2021 — Why many Gen Z youth are 'lying flat' on climate change. Apocalyptic memes and the 'smiling face with tear' emoji express the sentiments of a …

———————————————————————————
What China's 'lie flat' youth and global climate strikers have in ...https://www.scmp.com › Comment › Letters <https://www.scmp.com/comment/letters/article/3139558/what-chinas-lie-flat-youth-and-global-climate-strikers-have-common>

Jul 4, 2021 — Youth using their own bodies as a site of resistance is not surprising, as embodying resistance is the most common and accessible way to ...
———————————————————————————

Bloomberg  October 31, 2021
Young People Lying Flat Has Been a Long Time Coming

By Erin Lowry

Closing paragraph

“It’s quite possible that after decades of wealth accumulation being heralded as the route to success, we can start shifting toward a better balanced life — one in which work is just a piece of who you are and ambition and career success needn’t define you nor be what gives your life meaning. This doesn’t mean we’re without ambition, only that our desire to achieve can encompass more than the traditional, work-centric milestones.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-10-31/ok-boomer-lying-flat-has-been-a-long-time-coming-for-millennials <https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-10-31/ok-boomer-lying-flat-has-been-a-long-time-coming-for-millennials>

———————————————————————————
'Lying flat': The millennials quitting China's '996' work culture ... <https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-23/tang-ping-lying-flat-generation-rejecting-chinas-work-culture/100477716>
https://www.abc.net.au › news › tang-ping-lying-flat-ge... <https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-23/tang-ping-lying-flat-generation-rejecting-chinas-work-culture/100477716>

Sep 22, 2021 — This simple act of resistance is commonly known as tangping, or "lying flat". These days, Li often practices tai chi in the mornings and, when ...
———————————————————————————

https://www.brookings.edu › techstream › the-lying-flat... <https://www.brookings.edu/techstream/the-lying-flat-movement-standing-in-the-way-of-chinas-innovation-drive/>

Jul 8, 2021 — “Lying flat” is an answer, passive and desperate, to the dehumanizing nature of the struggle, both national and personal. Why should one stand …

———————————————————————————
Work Is a False Idol - The New York Times <https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/22/opinion/lying-flat-work-rest.html>

Aug 22, 2021 — The lying flat movement, or tangping as it's known in Mandarin, is just one expression of this global unraveling. Another is the current worker …

———————————————————————————
A niche Chinese Gen Z meme is ringing alarm bells for Beijing <https://qz.com/2019322/why-lying-flat-a-niche-chinese-millennial-meme-alarms-beijing/>
https://qz.com › why-lying-flat-a-niche-chinese-millenn... <https://qz.com/2019322/why-lying-flat-a-niche-chinese-millennial-meme-alarms-beijing/>

Jun 18, 2021 — Lying flat is an even deeper response to the sense of being exploited both by the demands of work and the exhortations of the government to be

————————————————————————
Young Chinese take a stand against pressures of modern life <https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-lying-flat-stress/2021/06/04/cef36902-c42f-11eb-89a4-b7ae22aa193e_story.html>
https://www.washingtonpost.com › world › 2021/06/04 <https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-lying-flat-stress/2021/06/04/cef36902-c42f-11eb-89a4-b7ae22aa193e_story.html>

Jun 5, 2021 — Young Chinese are rebelling against society through a simple act of resistance: lying down. Examples of the tangping, or “lying flat,” way ...

————————————————————————
Exhausted and without hope, East Asian youth are 'lying flat' <https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/28/economy/china-japan-korea-youth-intl-dst-hnk/index.html>

Aug 28, 2021 — Talk of "lying flat" has spread rapidly through China as young people contend with intense competition for the most attractive jobs, especially ...
————————————————————————
Unlike Taiwan and the US, the price of lying flat is too high for ... <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqStHkW2dzU>
https://www.youtube.com › watch <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqStHkW2dzU>

Oct 12, 2021 — Lying flat, or tang ping in Chinese describes a phenomenon among young people who, instead of striving for higher pay and social status in ...
————————————————————————
China Youth 'Lie Flat' as Good Life Seems Unattainable <https://www.voanews.com/a/east-asia-pacific_china-youth-lie-flat-good-life-seems-unattainable/6207063.html>
https://www.voanews.com › east-asia-pacific_china-you... <https://www.voanews.com/a/east-asia-pacific_china-youth-lie-flat-good-life-seems-unattainable/6207063.html>

Jun 15, 2021 — Lying flat includes opting out of getting married, having children, purchasing a home or car, and joining the corporate money-making machine, ...
————————————————————————
China's new 'tang ping' trend aims to highlight pressures of ... <https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57348406>
https://www.bbc.com › world-asia-china-57348406 <https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57348406>

Jun 3, 2021 — "Lying flat is my wise movement," a user wrote in a since-deleted post on the discussion forum Tieba, adding: "Only by lying down can humans ...

————————————————————————
Disenchanted Chinese Youth Join a Mass Movement to 'Lie Flat' <https://www.insider.com/disenchanted-chinese-youth-join-a-mass-movement-to-lie-flat-2021-6>

Jun 8, 2021 — Why are some Chinese youths "lying flat"? ... The idea of "lying flat" is widely acknowledged as a mass societal response to "neijuan" (or ...

Chinese Youth Announce That They're "Lying Flat" and ... <https://www.openculture.com/2021/09/chinese-youth-announce-that-theyre-lying-flat-and-resisting-the-pressures-of-modern-life.html>
https://www.openculture.com › 2021/09 › chinese-yout... <https://www.openculture.com/2021/09/chinese-youth-announce-that-theyre-lying-flat-and-resisting-the-pressures-of-modern-life.html>

Sep 1, 2021 — The “Lying Flat” movement taking hold among young people in China involves doing exactly what it suggests: working little, resting a lot, ...

“ … we are committed to a high level of consumption because, whether we need the goods or not, we very much need the employment their production provides.”

John K. Galbraith.“How much should a country consume?”
In Jarrett, Henry (editor), Perspectives on Conservation.
John Hopkins Press. 1958