[MCN] Status report on aspen, a "widespread tree species."

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Aug 9 13:34:55 EDT 2015

"Here, we examine the physiological basis of a recent multiyear
widespread die-off of trembling aspen (Populus tremuloides) across
much of western North America. Using observations from both native
trees while they are dying and a rainfall exclusion experiment on
mature trees, we measure hydraulic performance over multiple seasons
and years and assess pathways of accumulated hydraulic damage."

"Contrary to the expectation that surviving trees have weathered
severe drought, the hydraulic deterioration demonstrated here reveals
that surviving regions of these forests are actually more vulnerable
to future droughts due to accumulated xylem damage. As the most
widespread tree species in North America, increasing vulnerability to
drought in these forests has important ramifications  ....  "

William L. R. Anderegg et al. Drought's legacy: multiyear hydraulic
deterioration underlies widespread aspen forest die-off and portends
increased future risk.
Global Change Biology (2013) 19, 1188-1196, doi: 10.1111/gcb.12100