[MCN] Climate will "inevitably have an impact" on the economy

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Aug 14 00:02:16 EDT 2015

Insurance Journal   June 18, 2015

Insurers Stepping Toward Greater Green Investment Footprint
By Don Jergler |

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2015/06/18/372341.htm

Excerpt:

More interesting was what Brader had to say next.

He was asked hypothetically how he and QBE would
react if insurance regulators in that country
someday began to direct insurers to steer their
investments into more climate friendly financial
products like green bonds.

"I have heard some of the rumblings, but I think
that would be a logical place for policy to go
and we would welcome that," Brader said. "We feel
well-positioned to embrace that change and to
support that change."

So far no regulators in Australia, nor the U.S.
nor Europe, have stated intentions to require
insurers to make such investments.

Such an idea may be hypothetical now, but there
is mounting evidence that some non-green
investments may be at greater risk - and there
seems to be a greater interest in looking at
those risks on insurers' books.

According to an updated report from global
consulting firm Mercer, "Investing in a Time of
Climate Change," under several global warming
scenarios modelled, climate change will
inevitably have an impact on investment returns.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2015/06/18/372341.htm
Here, at the point of water uptake by the roots
of plants, begins the problem with respect to
water in the biosphere that makes all other water
problems seem trifling."

Penman, H.L. The Water Cycle. Scientific American, September 1970

  "Forest-driven evapotranspiration removed from a
particular catchment contributes to the
availability of atmospheric moisture vapor and
its cross-continental transport, raising the
likelihood of precipitation events and increasing
water yield, in particular in continental
interiors more distant from oceans. Š.
Policy-making attempts  ...   must consider the
linkage of forests to the supply of
precipitation."

Global Change Biology (2012) 18, 806-820, doi:
10.1111/j.1365-2486.2011.02589.x REVIEW
On the forest cover-water yield debate: from
demand- to supply-side thinking. DAVID ELLISON,
MARTYN N. FUTTER and KEVIN BISHOP
"Leonardo da Vinci's dictum, 'Water is the driver
of nature,' is justified on meteorological
grounds alone."

"Water vapor enters the atmosphere by evaporation
(this term includes transpiration by vegetation),
and the main oceanic sources are fairly
identifiable. It leaves the atmosphere as rain or
snow, and because the precipitation may take
place close to the source or thousands of miles
away, the residence time may vary from a few
hours to a few weeksŠ.The general balance of
evaporation and precipitation needs three sets of
figures, one for the entire earth, one for the
oceans and one for the land surface."

Penman, H.L. The Water Cycle. Scientific American, September 1970