[MCN] Buddhist Wisdom For Everyday Living w/ Don Handrick Tonight Through Sunday!

Billy Pfeiffer oselshenphenling at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 16:58:51 EDT 2015

Hello Missoulians,

Local Tibetan Buddhist meditation center Osel Shen Phen Ling is pleased to
announce that we will be welcoming Don Handrick as a visiting teacher for
the next week, tonight, Tuesday, July 7th through Sunday, July 12.

Don Handrick is the current resident teacher at Thubten Norbu Ling in Santa
Fe, NM. He is a graduate of the seven-year intensive residential Masters
Program in Tibetan Buddhist Studies at Instituto Lama Tsong Khapa in
Tuscany, Italy.  He has received teachings directly from many great
Buddhist masters, including His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Lama Zopa
Rinpoche, and others.  Don has a relaxed Western teaching style and is
adept at connecting ancient Buddhist teachings to our hectic, modern lives.

All events will take place at Osel Shen Phen Ling, 441 Woodworth Ave.,
Missoula.  There is a suggested donation of $15 per event or $75 for all
events, but no one will be turned away for lack of funds.  Below is a brief
outline of the program Don will be offering.  We hope you can attend any or
all of these great talks!

Bill Pfeiffer
Spiritual Program Coordinator - OSPL

Tuesday • July 7
7:00 pm
*The Joy of Living Fully*
So often we feel that the practice of a spiritual path entails shutting out
the “unspiritual” parts of one’s life and focusing only on that which has
the “appearance” of being more spiritual. In this class we will investigate
why this approach can limit our ability to practice the Buddha’s teachings
and how, with a greater awareness of wisdom and compassion, we can live
each moment of our lives completely and joyfully.

------------------------------

Wednesay • July 8
7:00 pm
*Using Work as a Spiritual Path*
Most of us spend a good portion of our lives working at our jobs, engaging
in the “busy-ness” that is fundamental for our livelihood but which often
seems quite removed from the serenity we are seeking on the spiritual path.
In this teaching, we will explore how we can utilize Buddhist principles in
our approach to work in order to develop more clarity, inspiration, and
fulfillment in our jobs and overcome the drudgery, stress, and frustration
which frequently occur.

------------------------------

Thursday • July 9
7:00 pm
*The Importance of Accepting Death and Loss*
Although the end of life eventually arrives for all of us, we usually
remain oblivious to the reality of this for both ourselves and others,
leaving us unskilled when having to confront death. In this teaching, we
will examine the need to acknowledge mortality and work with the fear of
death and the pain of loss in the context of our spiritual practice. We
will also discuss how mindfulness of death and loss can be used in
constructive ways to extract greater value from our lives.

------------------------------

Saturday • July 11
10am–3pm and
Sunday • July 12
10am–Noon
*Mini-Retreat: Three Principle Aspects of the Path*
The Tibetan Buddihist master Je Tsong Khapa’s concise discourse *The Three
Principal Aspects of the Path*contains the entire teaching of the Buddha.
While it is simple and practical, it is also a universal teaching that
everyone can understand. The Three Principals Aspects are Renunciation,
Bodhichitta and the Wisdom Realizing Emptiness, the essential paths to
liberation from suffering. Through teachings, followed by analytical
meditation, we will explore how *The Three Principle Aspects* remains as
relevant today as it was centuries ago.

All teachings take place at Osel Shen Phen Ling, 441 Woodworth
Suggested Donations: $15 for each event • $75 for all events
Donations cover expenses and offering to the Teacher.

Osel Shen Phen Ling means "Land of Clear Light Benefiting Others" in
Tibetan. We are a Buddhist center practicing Buddhadharma in the Tibetan
Gelug tradition and based in Missoula, MT, USA.  OSPL is an affiliated
center within the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition
(FPMT), a world-wide organization under the direction of Kyabje Lama Zopa
Rinpoche.  Find out more at www.fpmt-osel.org and www.fpmt.org.