[MCN] A best way to protect homes from fire?

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Jun 2 21:06:13 EDT 2015

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-u-s-west-can-live-with-fire/

Excerpts

Experts say the keys to adapting Western lives to
these wildfire risks lie in how fires and the
lands that fuel them are managed; and in how
yards, neighborhoods and cities are planned,
built and run.

"The end game is to reduce the risk of structure
ignition," Schmidt said. "Embers are one of the
most significant threats to any structure during
a wildfire. What we want our residents to do is
reduce the likelihood of that ember landing on
something that it likes. It's really going to
like dried pine needles in a gutter. What we want
to do is change what it lands on with less
combustible material."

That has meant residents clearing their rooftops
of debris, and replacing timber-based roofs and
other flammable building materials with
fire-resistant ones. It has also meant clearing
firewood, pine needles and shrub from around
homes and beneath decks.