[MCN] EPA waterways protection rule has scientific basis

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Jun 2 14:26:44 EDT 2015

Recent news reports cite environmentalists' support of the recent EPA
rules on water protection in the United States. True enough, but
reference to environmentalists' support ducks the issue of
scientists' own support of better protection for the waters of the
United States.

Among the world's scientific journals, Science is in the top echelon.
I have the pdf of a Science article, written by scientists, for
scientists, on the importance of water protection like that now
proposed in the new EPA rules.

If you'd like to see that article for yourself, just send me a note
off-list, at lance at wildrockies.org
Lance Olsen
"Localized ecological systems are known to shift abruptly and
irreversibly from one state to another when they are forced across
critical thresholds. Here we review evidence that the global
ecosystem as a whole can react in the same way and is approaching a
planetary-scale critical transition as a result of human influence."

Barnovsky et al. Approaching a state shift in Earth's biosphere.
Nature.  Volume 486, Pages:52-58
Date published: (07 June 2012)
doi:10.1038/nature11018