[MCN] Economics: No tree grows to the sky

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Jun 14 23:21:18 EDT 2015

Prosperity without growth?
The transition to a sustainable economy
<<http://www.sd-commission.org.uk/data/files/publications/prosperity_without_growth_report.pdf>>

Professor Tim Jackson
Economics Commissioner Sustainable Development Commission (UK)

p.5 - Summary: Excerpt: "For the most part, we
avoid the stark reality of these numbers. The
default assumption is that - financial crises
aside - growth will continue indefinitely. Not
just for the poorest countries, where a better
quality of life is undeniably needed, but even
for the richest nations where the cornucopia of
material wealth adds little to happiness and is
beginning to threaten the foundations of our
wellbeing."

1 - Introduction        15
2 -The Age of Irresponsiblity   19
3 -Redefining Prosperity        29
4 -The Dilemma of Growth        37
5 -The Myth of Decoupling       47
6 -Confronting Structure        59
7 -Keynesianism and the 'Green New Deal' 67
8 -Macro-economics for Sustainability   75
9 -Flourishing - within limits  85
10 -Governance for Prosperity   93
11 -Steps towards a Sustainable Economy 101

<<http://www.sd-commission.org.uk/data/files/publications/prosperity_without_growth_report.pdf>>
"Real estate speculation must be as old as the
land - in the United States, it is certainly as
old as the frontier - and the first bad bank loan
was no doubt made around the time of the opening
of the first bank."

"Still, the boom of the 1980s was unique. Not
only did creditors lend more freely than they had
in the past, but the government intervened more
actively than it had ever done before to absorb
the inevitable losses."

James Grant. Money of the Mind : Borrowing and
Lending in America from the Civil War to Michael
Milken. Farrar Straus Giroux. 1992.
Introduction, p.5.

"In the early 1990s a number of long-running
trends were apparently cresting  Š.  Tommy
Mullaney, eleven, of Crownsville, Maryland,
returned home from camp in the summer of 1990 to
find his name inscribed on a MasterCard complete
with a $5,000 credit line.  ' I jumped up and
down and said Wow - the hologram was cool,'
Tommy told the Washington Post. 'But it sure made
me wonder who was running that bank'."

James Grant. Money of the Mind: Borrowing and
Lending in America from the Civil War to Micheal
Milken. Farrar Straus Giroux. 1992. Afterword:
End of the Line. Pp. 436-437