[MCN] Just to our north, in Alberta, big changes for 100s of plant species

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Nov 24 11:00:25 EST 2015

"We found that 368 species (24%) may lose on average > 80% of their
current suitable climates (habitats), while 539 species (35%) were
projected to more than double their current suitable range. Both
species richness and PD were predicted to increase in most areas,
except for the species-rich Rocky Mountains, which are predicted to
experience future declines."

Diversity and Distributions
Volume 21, Issue 12, pages 1441-1454, December 2015

Gains and losses of plant species and phylogenetic diversity for a
northern high-latitude region
Jian Zhang, Scott E. Nielsen, Jessica Stolar, Youhua Chen and Wilfried Thuiller

evolutionary diversity; extinction risk; range shift

Abstract
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ddi.12365/abstract>http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ddi.12365/abstract

Aim
Forecasting potential patterns in species' distributions and
diversity under climate change is crucial for biodiversity
conservation. Although high-latitude regions are expected to
experience some of the greatest increases in temperature due to
global warming, little is known on how individual responses in
species will affect patterns in phylogenetic diversity (PD).
Location
Alberta, Canada.
Methods
We used 160,589 occurrence records for 1541 species of seed plants in
Alberta (nearly 90% of the province's seed flora) and ensemble niche
models to project current and future suitable habitats. We then
examined climate change vulnerability of individual species and the
potential impacts of climate change on species richness, PD and both
taxonomic and phylogenetic endemism (PE). We also assessed whether
predicted losses of PD were distributed randomly across the plant
tree of life.
Results
We found that 368 species (24%) may lose on average > 80% of their
current suitable climates (habitats), while 539 species (35%) were
projected to more than double their current suitable range. Both
species richness and PD were predicted to increase in most areas,
except for the species-rich Rocky Mountains, which are predicted to
experience future declines. Maps of taxonomic and PE identified
several regions with high conservation value and climate change
threat suggesting priorities for conservation and climate change
adaptation. Overall, a non-random extinction risk was found for
Alberta's flora, demonstrating potential future impacts of climate
change on the loss of evolutionary history.
Main conclusions
Our analyses suggest that climate change will have asymmetrical
effects on the distribution of Alberta's plant diversity and endemism
and a non-random extinction risk of the current state of species
evolutionary history. Our results provide practical guidance for
biodiversity conservation and management in this region by
prioritizing species' vulnerabilities and places with higher
taxonomic or evolutionary risk due to future climate change.
--
"Climate change will alter ecosystem services, perceptions of value,
and decisions regarding land uses. Outcomes for people will be

United States Department of Agriculture
Forest Service
Pacific Northwest Research Station
General Technical Report PNW-GTR-870