[MCN] Who wants food to be sustainable? Who's opposed?

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Oct 9 09:33:00 EDT 2015

Science 9 October 2015:
Vol. 350 no. 6257 pp. 165-166
DOI: 10.1126/science.aab2031

POLICY FORUM
"  ...  we discuss the need to incorporate sustainability into
dietary guidelines and the political maneuvering under way to excise
it."
-----------------------------

FOOD SCIENCE
Designing a sustainable diet
Kathleen Merrigan et al

Corresponding author. E-mail: kmerrigan at gwu.edu

In the United States, a vigorous debate is under way over
government-issued dietary guidance. A February 2015 report by the
U.S. Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC) recommended, for
the first time, that food system sustainability be an integral part
of dietary guidance in the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans
(DGAs) (1). With the final decision from the secretaries of Health
and Human Services (HHS) and of Agriculture (USDA) about what parts
of the DGAC recommendations to include in the 2015 DGAs expected at
the end of this year, we discuss the need to incorporate
sustainability into dietary guidelines and the political maneuvering
under way to excise it.
"Ignorance of remote causes disposeth men to attribute all events to
the causes immediate and instrumental: for these are all the causes
they perceive."

Attributed  to Thomas Hobbes
"Making connections is the essence of scientific progress."

Chris Quigg, "Aesthetic Science,"
Scientific American, April 1999
"Although we are only at an early stage in the projected trends of
global warming, ecological responses to recent climate change are
already clearly visible."

Walther et al, "Ecological responses to recent climate change."
Nature, March 28, 2002