[MCN] Can forests take the heat? Brief answer

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed Oct 14 09:19:08 EDT 2015

"Collectively, the results foreshadow
twenty-first-century changes in forest Š towards
distributions unfamiliar to modern civilization."

Park Williams et al. Temperature as a potent
driver of regional forest drought stress and tree
mortality.
Nature Climate Change. PUBLISHED ONLINE: 30
SEPTEMBER 2012 | DOI: 10.1038/NCLIMATE1693

"We have only one planet and the time has come to
transform our present lifestyle and consumption
patterns in order to halt the degradation of the
Earth's natural capital ..."

From the Executive Summary, WWF:  China
Ecological Footprint: Report 2012 : Consumption,
production, and sustainability.

"Š energy consumption in 1960 was about half what
it is now [i.e., 1970] Š. Surely we had a
civilized country then, with roads, electricity,
entertainment, and so on. Š. Have we, by doubling
our energy consumption, doubled our happiness?"

Kimon Valaskakis, Peter S. Sindell, J. Graham
Smith, and Iris Fitzpatrick-Martin. The Conserver
Society. 1970. Harper & Row.

"The most painful and expensive way to deal with
global climate change will be to ignore it until
something happens that elicits powerful public
demands for immediate and Draconian action."

Jonathan Lash.  "As the earth heats up. "  Journal of Commerce August 16, 1996.