[MCN] Reality check: The economy

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed Oct 14 10:08:00 EDT 2015

"Policy and thinking must adapt to this reality. Start now."

Financial Times October 13, 2015 4:40 pm

Solid growth is harder than blowing bubbles
Martin Wolf

Opening paragraph:
"It used to be said that when the US sneezed, the
world economy caught a cold. This is still true.
But now the world economy also catches a cold
when China sneezes. It has lost its last
significant credit-fuelled engine of demand. The
result is almost certain to be a further boost to
the global "savings glut" or, as Lawrence Summers
calls it, 'secular stagnation' - the tendency for
demand to be weak relative to potential supply.
This has big implications for global economic
risks."

Closing paragraph:
"The world has run out of large economies ready
and willing to let lending and spending rip. This
means that global demand may be still more feeble
in the next few years. Policy and thinking must
adapt to this reality. Start now."

High quality global journalism requires
investment. Please share this article with others
using the link below, do not cut & paste the
article.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9bba6228-70d1-11e5-9b9e-690fdae72044.html#ixzz3oUsOV0mh

"We have only one planet and the time has come to
transform our present lifestyle and consumption
patterns in order to halt the degradation of the
Earth's natural capital ..."

From the Executive Summary, WWF:  China
Ecological Footprint: Report 2012 : Consumption,
production, and sustainability.

"Š energy consumption in 1960 was about half what
it is now [i.e., 1970] Š. Surely we had a
civilized country then, with roads, electricity,
entertainment, and so on. Š. Have we, by doubling
our energy consumption, doubled our happiness?"

Kimon Valaskakis, Peter S. Sindell, J. Graham
Smith, and Iris Fitzpatrick-Martin. The Conserver
Society. 1970. Harper & Row.

"The most painful and expensive way to deal with
global climate change will be to ignore it until
something happens that elicits powerful public
demands for immediate and Draconian action."

Jonathan Lash.  "As the earth heats up. "  Journal of Commerce August 16, 1996.