[MCN] Snow loss -> drought -> fire in California (and elsewhere)

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed Sep 16 12:59:57 EDT 2015

Sierra Nevada snowpack lowest in five centuries
UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA
Public Release: 14-Sep-2015

Snowpack in California's Sierra Nevada in 2015 was at the lowest
level in the past 500 years, according to a new report led by
researchers from the University of Arizona's Laboratory of Tree-Ring
Research. The research is the first to show how the 2015 snowpack
compares with snowpack levels for the previous five centuries.
California's current record-setting drought began in 2012, the
researchers note in their report.

JOURNAL
Nature Climate Change

"Finally, we are committed to a high level of consumption because,
whether we need the goods or not, we very much need the employment
their production provides."

John K. Galbraith. "How much should a country consume?"
In Jarrett, Henry (editor), Perspectives on Conservation. John
Hopkins Press. 1958

"In an attempt to clarify the issues, first let us advance the
following proposition: The more wasteful a society the greater the
employment opportunities."

Kimon Valaskakis, Peter S. Sindell, J. Graham Smith, and Iris
Fitzpatrick-Martin. The Conserver Society. 1970. Harper & Row.