[MCN] Evidence of longer growing season in urban than rural areas

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed Apr 6 10:37:24 EDT 2016

Ecology and Evolution  April 2016
DOI: 10.1002/ece3.1990

The extent of shifts in vegetation phenology between rural and urban
areas within a human-dominated region
Martin Dallimer,
Sustainability Research Institute, School of Earth and Environment,
University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Zhiyao Tang,
Department of Ecology, College of Urban and Environmental Sciences,
Peking University, Beijing, China
Kevin J. Gaston,
CEnvironment and Sustainability Institute, University of Exeter,
Penryn, Cornwall, UK
Zoe G. Davies
Durrell Institute of Conservation and Ecology (DICE), School of
Anthropology and Conservation, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent,
UK

Abstract (Free, open access article)
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ece3.1990/full

Urbanization is one of the major environmental challenges facing the
world today. One of its particularly pressing effects is alterations
to local and regional climate through, for example, the Urban Heat
Island. Such changes in conditions are likely to have an impact on
the phenology of urban vegetation, which will have knock-on
implications for the role that urban green infrastructure can play in
delivering multiple ecosystem services. Here, in a human-dominated
region, we undertake an explicit comparison of vegetation phenology
between urban and rural zones. Using satellite-derived MODIS-EVI data
from the first decade of the 20th century, we extract metrics of
vegetation phenology (date of start of growing season, date of end of
growing season, and length of season) for Britain's 15 largest cities
and their rural surrounds. On average, urban areas experienced a
growing season 8.8 days longer than surrounding rural zones. As would
be expected, there was a significant decline in growing season length
with latitude (by 3.4 and 2.4 days/degree latitude in rural and urban
areas respectively). Although there is considerable variability in
how phenology in urban and rural areas differs across our study
cities, we found no evidence that built urban form influences the
start, end, or length of the growing season. However, the difference
in the length of the growing season between rural and urban areas was
significantly negatively associated with the mean disposable
household income for a city. Vegetation in urban areas deliver many
ecosystem services such as temperature mitigation, pollution removal,
carbon uptake and storage, the provision of amenity value for humans
and habitat for biodiversity. Given the rapid pace of urbanization
and ongoing climate change, understanding how vegetation phenology
will alter in the future is important if we wish to be able to manage
urban greenspaces effectively.
--
"Booms have consequences."

James Grant. Money of the Mind : Borrowing and Lending in America
from the Civil War to Michael Milken. Farrar Straus Giroux. 1992.