[MCN] Hi school teens learn atmospheric, climate, solar energy science

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Feb 2 12:39:21 EST 2016

Earth's Future - an AGU journal

Integrating solar energy and climate research into science education
Alan K. Betts, James Hamilton, Sam Ligon, Ann Marie Mahar

First Published: 6 January 2016

KEY POINTS
	*Data from solar power arrays are a new resource
	*Solar flux data are useful for cloud, power, and climate analyses
	*Solar data provide local research information for science education

Abstract: Open Access, Bold Added
http://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/agu/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)2328-4277/

This paper analyzes multi-year records of solar
flux and climate data from two solar power sites
in Vermont. We show the inter-annual differences
of temperature, wind, panel solar flux,
electrical power production, and cloud cover.
Power production has a linear relation to a
dimensionless measure of the transmission of
sunlight through the cloud field. The difference
between panel and air temperatures reaches 24°C
with high solar flux and low wind speed. High
panel temperatures that occur in summer with low
wind speeds and clear skies can reduce power
production by as much as 13%. The intercomparison
of two sites 63 km apart shows that while
temperature is highly correlated on daily
(R2=0.98) and hourly (R2=0.94) timescales, the
correlation of panel solar flux drops markedly
from daily (R2=0.86) to hourly (R2=0.63)
timescales. Minimum temperatures change little
with cloud cover, but the diurnal temperature
range shows a nearly linear increase with falling
cloud cover to 16°C under nearly clear skies,
similar to results from the Canadian Prairies.
The availability of these new solar and climate
datasets allows local student groups, a Rutland
High School team here, to explore the coupled
relationships between climate, clouds, and
renewable power production. As our society makes
major changes in our energy infrastructure in
response to climate change, it is important that
we accelerate the technical education of high
school students using real-world data.
From the text:
This analysis by a Rutland High School team uses
data from the GMP solar educational site on Route
7N in Rutland, Vermont for the years 2010-2013
and the comparison with similar data for
2011-2013 from the Ferrisburgh Solar Farm about
63km to the north. After discussing the data
processing, we will address both climate and
engineering questions. We first show the
inter-annual differences of temperature, wind,
panel solar flux, electrical power production,
and cloud cover. Then, we explore the dependence
of power generation on the solar flux, which in
turn depends on cloud cover and snow covering the
panels as well as the impact of solar flux and
wind on panel temperature. Then, we explore how
the diurnal range of temperature depends on cloud
cover. Because distributed solar flux data has
become available only recently with the
installation of solar arrays, these analyses have
a research fascination for students. At the same
time, they give important insight into how
climate, clouds, and renewable power are part of
a coupled system.

Traditionally, measurements of temperature and
precipitation have been used to characterize
climate because they are routinely available.
However, the surface daily solar flux is
critically important to the diurnal climate
[Betts et al., 2013, 2015]. Historically, only
hours of daily sunshine were estimated at climate
stations. Now, with the widespread deployment of
distributed solar arrays, we are entering a new
era for analysis. Some of this analysis was
inspired by an exceptional long-term dataset from
the Canadian Prairies, which recorded opaque
cloud every hour from which the daily solar flux
can be calculated [Betts et al., 2013, 2015]. In
a broader context, cloud and radiation
observations play a critical role in improving
our understanding of the climate system. A major
uncertainty in our weather forecast and climate
models has long been the model computation of the
cloud fields [Senior and Mitchell, 1993] and the
radiative forcing that depends on them. So these
new data from solar arrays, in addition to
inspiring a new generation of students, will
deepen our observational understanding of the
impact of clouds on climate.

Read full article or get your pdf here:
http://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/agu/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)2328-4277/

"Although we are only at an early stage in the
projected trends of global warming,
ecological responses to recent climate change are already clearly visible."

Walther et al, "Ecological responses to recent climate change."
Nature, March 28, 2002
"Š. the earth's atmosphere is so thoroughly mixed
and so rapidly recycled through the biosphere
that the next breath you inhale will contain
atoms exhaled by Jesus at Gethsemane and Adolf
Hitler
at Munich."

Preston Cloud and Aharon Gibor.   "The Oxygen Cycle."
Scientific American, September 1970