[MCN] Predictions about climate impact on species proven wrong

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed Feb 10 15:32:41 EST 2016

Australian Broadcasting Corporation Feb 9 2016

Climate change driving species to the Earth's poles faster than
predicted, scientists say
Warming temperatures are pushing land and sea creatures closer to the
north and south poles and to cooler altitudes at rates faster than
first predicted, scientists say.

The World Today By Felicity Ogilvie
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-09/climate-change-driving-species-to-the-poles-scientists-say/7152682

Excerpt

Scientists from 40 countries are gathering in Hobart for a four-day
conference about how climate change is forcing species to move,
including humans.

Professor Camille Parmesan from Plymouth University in the UK said
around the world animals and plants were moving towards the Earth's
poles, and it is happening faster than scientists had originally
predicted.

"For the species that we have really good data on where they've lived
historically over the past 100 years, we're seeing about half of
those have actually moved where they live, which is an astonishing
number given we've only had one degree centigrade warming," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-09/climate-change-driving-species-to-the-poles-scientists-say/7152682
--
######################################################################################
"The most painful and expensive way to deal with global climate

Jonathan Lash.
"As the earth heats up. "
Journal of Commerce, August 16, 1996.
"Up until the late 1950s, tillage (plowing) released more carbon
dioxide into the atmosphere than all the burning of oil and coal in
history."

" ...   not tilling the soil begins to build up the carbon content of
the soil. You might call this 'carbon farming'."

"Obviously, these programs are currently not big money-makers for farmers."

"Energy agriculture - carbon farming" Don Hofstrand co-director AgMRC
Iowa State University
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/articles/hof/HofAug07.html