[MCN] 2 pine species demonstrate response to heat and drought

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Thu Jan 7 09:05:28 EST 2016

Forest Ecology and Management Volume 363, 1 March 2016, Pages 149-158

Contrasting growth and mortality responses to
climate warming of two pine species in a
continental Mediterranean ecosystem
Estela Herguido, Elena Granda, Raquel Benavides,
Ana I. García-Cervigón, J. Julio Camarero,
Fernando Valladares

Highlights

*Mediterranean pine forests are threatened by
increasing warming-related aridification.

*Secondary growth and mortality patterns vary
between two closely related pine species.

*Sustained drought stress predisposes Pinus nigra subsp. salzmannii to death.

*Punctual drought conditions trigger death events in Pinus sylvestris.

*Site conditions modulate growth patterns and drought-induced mortality events.

Abstract
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378112715007653

"The energy that sustains all living systems is
solar energy ... It is solar energy that moves
the rabbit, the deer, the whale, the boy on the
bicycle outside my window, my pencil as I write
these words."

"How much of the energy that runs the biosphere
can be diverted to the support of a single
species : man?"

George M. Woodwell. "The Energy Cycle of the Biosphere."
Scientific American, September 1970.

"We have only one planet and the time has come to
transform our present lifestyle and consumption
patterns in order to halt the degradation of the
Earth's natural capital ..."

From the Executive Summary, WWF:  China
Ecological Footprint: Report 2012 : Consumption,
production, and sustainability.