[MCN] I have pdf: Goodbye Colorado (and Montana): Subdivision foreseen in '74

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sat Jan 9 11:42:43 EST 2016

In 1974, Harper's magazine ran an article setting out the future of
subdivision, aka "development" or "growth", in Colorado. What's
happened since is more or less a matter of public record, so the
article is an opportunity to test a '74 outlook against what has
actually happened.

Aside from its potential contribution to academic, scholarly
analyses, it's a good read in that it's a plain-language guide to
what's also been happening to many another US state. And it points
out that when the fantasies about Colorado get usurped by the
realities, Montana and Wyoming will be the next targetted states.

I have the pdf. It's a tad faint, but still pretty easily readable

"The energy that sustains all living systems is solar energy ... It
is solar energy that moves the rabbit, the deer, the whale, the boy
on the bicycle outside my window, my pencil as I write these words."

"How much of the energy that runs the biosphere can be diverted to
the support of a single species : man?"

George M. Woodwell. "The Energy Cycle of the Biosphere."
Scientific American, September 1970.

"We have only one planet and the time has come to transform our
present lifestyle and consumption patterns in order to halt the
degradation of the Earth's natural capital ..."

 From the Executive Summary, WWF:  China Ecological Footprint: Report
2012 : Consumption, production, and sustainability.