[MCN] Fossil fuel combustion can batter ag, timber, real estate et al

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Jan 15 17:32:29 EST 2016

Climate change is a threat - and an opportunity - for the private sector
Op-Ed by Dimitris Tsitsiragos
http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/opinion/2016/01/13/climate-change-is-a-threat---and-an-opportunity---for-the-private-sector

First published in Capital Finance International on January 6, 2016.
http://cfi.co/europe/2016/01/ifc-climate-change-threat-and-opportunity-for-private-sector/

Excerpts :

"But why should businesses, whose main responsibility is to their
shareholders, care about climate change? The answer is simple. "

"A study by CitiGroup found that rampant warming could shave up to
$72 trillion off the world's gross domestic product, while another
report in the journal Nature found it could reduce average global
incomes by nearly a quarter. A four-degree Celsius jump would also
batter sectors like agriculture, real estate, timber, and emerging
market equities. All told, that would make for a toxic environment
for businesses large and small."

"Investors wouldn't be immune either. A report by Cambridge
University suggests equity portfolios could tumble by up to 45
percent as climate-related fears ripple across global markets."

"Some companies are already starting to feel the pinch. Earlier this
year, the CEO of Unilever, which had $52 billion in 2014 sales,
turned heads when he said natural disasters linked to climate change
cost his company about $330 million a year.

"Perhaps Dean Scarborough, the CEO of manufacturing firm Avery
Dennison, put it best in a recent interview with the Harvard Business
Review. "Climate change threatens (our) supply chain, our customers'
businesses, and the communities we're part of. If we want to stay in
business for the long term, contributing to the fight against climate
change is just smart strategy.

"For years, companies around the world bristled at the idea of going
green. Their argument? We just can't afford it. But a dramatic plunge
in the price of eco-friendly technologies - especially renewable
energy - and the rise of carbon pricing, which charges firms for
releasing greenhouse gases, has changed that calculus. Companies are
now flocking to climate-smart investments, not only because it's the
moral thing to do, but because it's good for the bottom line.

"A recent study that looked at a sample of 1,700 leading
international firms found that the money they put into reducing
greenhouse gas emissions saw an internal rate of return of 27 percent
- an indication that those investments were paying off. Other
studies, like one from Harvard, have found that companies with a
reverence for environmental and social sustainability outperform
firms that treat those issues less seriously."

End excerpts. Full analysis here:
http://cfi.co/europe/2016/01/ifc-climate-change-threat-and-opportunity-for-private-sector/

"Ten thousand years ago there were between 1 and 5 million people on
the planet.  There was plenty of room to expand and move, and
resources seemed endless."

Niles Eldredge. Dominion. 1995. University of California Press.
"But we need to be clear, the large-scale predicament and the
emergent socio-economic stresses that we are beginning to experience
has very little to with fraud, corruption and the greed of a tiny
few. It has a lot to do with our human civilization running into
limits."

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2014-03-25/anger-complicity-in-a-time-of-limits