[MCN] Do we need to give a little more thought to oxygen?

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Jul 11 10:10:02 EDT 2016

Excerpts from news release:
Phytoplankton are vitally important to the way oceans - and the world - work.

The microscopic algae form the base of the marine food web and are
responsible for producing much of the world's oxygen.

"Every second breath you take comes from their photosynthesis," Reusch said.

"They don't like a more acidic ocean," Reusch said.

Read more of the release at:
http://phys.org/news/2016-07-wrought-acidic-oceans-marine-life.html#jCp

Original article : Long-term dynamics of adaptive evolution in a
globally important phytoplankton species to ocean acidification,
Science Advances  08 Jul 2016: Vol. 2, no. 7, e1501660
DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.1501660
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/2/7/e1501660
"The world's cultivated soils have lost between 50 and 70% of their
original carbon stock, much of which has oxidized upon exposure to
air to become CO2." - Diana Donlon, Center for Food Safety

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/lbryant/soil_foundation_food_water_energy.html

"Now we have a way of dividing America."

Newt Gingrich, quoted in Greider, William (p. 276)
Who will tell the people. 1992.  Simon & Schuster