[MCN] Roads and more new roads: Maintenance costs and climate consequences

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed Jul 13 12:41:21 EDT 2016

1st 4 paragraphs: "There's an odd new trend in
American infrastructure, and it may make you
think you've found a wormhole back to the 1950s:
All over the country, roads are getting de-paved.

"Wired's Aarian Marshall
reports <<https://www.wired.com/2016/07/cash-strapped-towns-un-paving-roads-cant-afford-fix/>>that transportation
agencies in 27 states have ripped up roads they
can't afford to maintain. Even with congressional
spending on infrastructure going up, it doesn't
match the rising cost of concrete, asphalt, and
cement.

"Municipalities still can't afford to pay for
road upkeep, so instead they de-pave.

"This may have consequences on your struts, but
unpaved roads can have a few net benefits if done
right. Paving materials not only absorb heat and
make the area around roads hotter, they
also contribute to surface runoff and can
cause erosion, water pollution, and flooding.
Plus, the cement industry is a huge producer of
carbon dioxide - responsible for about 5 percent
of all global emissions. So while
de-paving might not be the sexiest solution to
our infrastructure problem - and only goes to
show how little we're spending - it really isn't
the worst that could happen."

http://grist.org/living/the-hot-new-trend-in-american-infrastructure-unpaved-roads/

"We present responses of a mixed woody-herbaceous
ecosystem type to an extreme event:
regional-scale pinon pine mortality following an
extended drought, and the subsequent herbaceous
green-up following the first wet period after the
drought."

Paul M. Rich, David D. Breshears and Amanda B.
White. PHENOLOGY OF MIXED WOODY-HERBACEOUS
ECOSYSTEMS FOLLOWING EXTREME EVENTS: NET AND
DIFFERENTIAL RESPONSES. Ecology, 89(2), 2008, pp.
342-352 Ó 2008 by the Ecological Society of
America