[MCN] Roads, more roads: Consequences for birds, mammals

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed Jul 13 13:01:57 EDT 2016

PNAS  Early Edition
doi: 10.1073/pnas.1522488113

Assessing large-scale wildlife responses to human infrastructure development
Aurora Torres et al

Abstract
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2016/07/05/1522488113.abstract

Habitat loss and deterioration represent the main
threats to wildlife species, and are closely
linked to the expansion of roads and human
settlements. Unfortunately, large-scale effects
of these structures remain generally overlooked.
Here, we analyzed the European transportation
infrastructure network and found that 50% of the
continent is within 1.5 km of transportation
infrastructure. We present a method for assessing
the impacts from infrastructure on wildlife,
based on functional response curves describing
density reductions in birds and mammals (e.g.,
road-effect zones), and apply it to Spain as a
case study. The imprint of infrastructure extends
over most of the country (55.5% in the case of
birds and 97.9% for mammals), with moderate
declines predicted for birds (22.6% of
individuals) and severe declines predicted for
mammals (46.6%). Despite certain limitations, we
suggest the approach proposed is widely
applicable to the evaluation of effects of
planned infrastructure developments under
multiple scenarios, and propose an
internationally coordinated strategy to update
and improve it in the future.