[MCN] Which US forests most at risk from drought?

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Jul 26 17:04:26 EDT 2016

Global Change Biology  August 2016

US forest response to projected climate-related stress: a tolerance perspective
Jean Liénard, John Harrison,Nikolay Strigul
Washington State University Vancouver, Vancouver, WA, USA
"Vulnerable areas include mostly the Midwest
United States and Northeast United States, as
well as high-elevation areas of the Rocky
Mountains. We also infer stress incurred by
shifting climate should create an opening for the
establishment of forest types not currently seen
in the conterminous United States."

Abstract
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcb.13291/full

Although it is widely recognized that climate
change will require a major spatial
reorganization of forests, our ability to predict
exactly how and where forest characteristics and
distributions will change has been rather
limited. Current efforts to predict future
distribution of forested ecosystems as a function
of climate include species distribution models
(for fine-scale predictions) and potential
vegetation climate envelope models (for
coarse-grained, large-scale predictions). Here,
we develop and apply an intermediate approach
wherein we use stand-level tolerances of
environmental stressors to understand forest
distributions and vulnerabilities to anticipated
climate change. In contrast to other existing
models, this approach can be applied at a
continental scale while maintaining a direct link
to ecologically relevant, climate-related
stressors. We first demonstrate that shade,
drought, and waterlogging tolerances of forest
stands are strongly correlated with climate and
edaphic conditions in the conterminous United
States. This discovery allows the development of
a tolerance distribution model (TDM), a novel
quantitative tool to assess landscape level
impacts of climate change. We then focus on
evaluating the implications of the drought TDM.
Using an ensemble of 17 climate change models to
drive this TDM, we estimate that 18% of US
ecosystems are vulnerable to drought-related
stress over the coming century. Vulnerable areas
include mostly the Midwest United States and
Northeast United States, as well as
high-elevation areas of the Rocky Mountains. We
also infer stress incurred by shifting climate
should create an opening for the establishment of
forest types not currently seen in the
conterminous United States.
"Full of recent references and statistics,
Harvesting the Biosphere adds to the growing
chorus of warnings about the current trajectory
of human activity on a finite planet, of which
climate change is only one dimension. One can
quibble with some assumptions or tweak Smil's
calculations, but the bottom line will not
change, only the time it may take humanity to
reach a crisis point."

Stephen Running. "Approaching the Limits" Science 15 March 2013.

Book review. Harvesting the Biosphere: What we
have taken from Nature. by Vaclav Smil .  MIT
Press, Cambridge, MA, 2012. 315 pp. $29, £19.95.
ISBN 9780262018562.