[MCN] Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Thu Jun 16 09:11:41 EDT 2016

Montana Public Radio's Edward O'Brien interviewed
the spokeswoman for the Montana Logging
Association, which opposes the Northern Rockies
Ecosystem Protection Act (NREPA). She said NREPA
is based on science that's now 24 years old --
she specifically referred to the science that
points to the importance of "connectivity"
between areas like the Greater Yellowstone
Ecosystem and the ecosystem comprised of Glacier
National Park and the Bob Marshall Wilderness.
She also said that science can change

It's true that NREPA did some pioneering toward
establishing "connectivity" between areas of high
regional importance to wildlife, and that it was
based on the science of the day.

And yes, science can change, and yes again, the
scientific record of evidence on connectivity
between fragments of wild areas has indeed
changed. One major change is that the scientific
consensus on connectivity has grown. In the
intervening 20+ years, the importance of
connectivity has been recognized and supported
even more strongly than it was when NREPA wrote
it into formal legislation. Another major change
in science is that connectivity between natural
areas has been found essential to wildlife
conservation in a time of climate change.

As a matter of fact, it was only this month that
20+ years of consensus on connectivity showed up
in a global heavyweight of science -- America's
own National Academies of Science. In this latest
report, it also becomes apparent that the best
hope for establishing connectivity is in the
West, which of course includes the area covered
by NREPA.

  See for yourself how the importance of
connectivity was endorsed by scientific consensus
within days of the MLA spokeswoman's dismissive
remarks.

PNAS -Early Edition doi: 10.1073/pnas.1602817113

Achieving climate connectivity in a fragmented landscape
Jenny L. McGuire etal

Keywords
climate connectivity - climate change - habitat fragmentation - corridors

Bold emphasis added

Significance
Many plants and animals will need to move large
distances to track preferred climates, but
fragmentation and barriers limit their movements.
We asked to what degree and where species will be
able to track suitable climates. We demonstrate
that only 41% of US natural land area is
currently connected enough to allow species to
track preferred temperatures as the planet warms
over the next 100 years. If corridors allowed
movement between all natural areas, species
living in 65% of natural area could track their
current climates, allowing them to adjust to 2.7
°C more temperature change.  Facilitating
movement will be crucial for preventing
biodiversity losses.

Abstract
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2016/06/07/1602817113.abstract

The contiguous United States contains a
disconnected patchwork of natural lands. This
fragmentation by human activities limits species'
ability to track suitable climates as they
rapidly shift. However, most models that project
species movement needs have not examined where
fragmentation will limit those movements. Here,
we quantify climate connectivity, the capacity of
landscape configuration to allow species movement
in the face of dynamically shifting climate.
Using this metric, we assess to what extent
habitat fragmentation will limit species
movements in response to climate change. We then
evaluate how creating corridors to promote
climate connectivity could potentially mitigate
these restrictions, and we assess where
strategies to increase connectivity will be most
beneficial. By analyzing fragmentation patterns
across the contiguous United States, we
demonstrate that only 41% of natural land area
retains enough connectivity to allow plants and
animals to maintain climatic parity as the
climate warms. In the eastern United States, less
than 2% of natural area is sufficiently
connected. Introducing corridors to facilitate
movement through human-dominated regions
increases the percentage of climatically
connected natural area to 65%, with the most
impactful gains in low-elevation regions,
particularly in the southeastern United States.
These climate connectivity analyses allow
ecologists and conservation practitioners to
determine the most effective regions for
increasing connectivity. More importantly, our
findings demonstrate that increasing climate
connectivity is critical for allowing species to
track rapidly changing climates, reconfiguring
habitats to promote access to suitable climates.

--
###################   I have the PDF  ##########################

"Scholars and commentators have recently begun to
highlight how multiple, simultaneous, and
interacting global stresses, such as demographic
pressure, climate change, resource scarcities,
and financial instability, are increasing global
systemic risk (Beddington 2009, OECD 2011, WEF
2012, Helbing 2013, Pamlin and Armstrong 2015).

"They often describe the situation that humanity
faces now and in coming decades as a "perfect
storm" of simultaneous crises (Sample 2009, Ahmed
2011, Ehrlich and Ehrlich 2013, Morgan 2013).
Although evocative, this phrase implies that the
crises align solely by chance. We argue rather
that their simultaneity is a manifestation of an
underlying causal pattern that is becoming more
prevalent, and we elaborate a conceptual
framework that provisionally describes this
pattern."

Homer-Dixon, T., B. Walker, R. Biggs, A.-S.
Crépin, C. Folke, E. F. Lambin, G. D. Peterson,
J. Rockström, M. Scheffer, W. Steffen, and M.
Troell. 2015. Synchronous failure: the emerging
causal architecture of global crisis. Ecology and
Society 20(3): 6.
http://dx.doi. org/10.5751/ES-07681-200306