[MCN] Life can be good for the urban social bee

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Mar 22 12:21:49 EDT 2016

Ecology and Evolution March 2016

Urban gardens promote bee foraging over natural habitats and plantations
Benjamin F. Kaluza, Helen Wallace, Tim A. Heard,
Alexandra-Maria Klein, Sara D. Leonhardt

Abstract
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ece3.1941/full

Increasing human land use for agriculture and
housing leads to the loss of natural habitat and
to widespread declines in wild bees. Bee foraging
dynamics and fitness depend on the availability
of resources in the surrounding landscape, but
how precisely landscape related resource
differences affect bee foraging patterns remains
unclear. To investigate how landscape and its
interaction with season and weather drive
foraging and resource intake in social bees, we
experimentally compared foraging activity, the
allocation of foragers to different resources
(pollen, nectar, and resin) and overall resource
intake in the Australian stingless bee
Tetragonula carbonaria (Apidae, Meliponini). Bee
colonies were monitored in different seasons over
two years. We compared foraging patterns and
resource intake between the bees' natural habitat
(forests) and two landscapes differently altered
by humans (suburban gardens and agricultural
macadamia plantations). We found foraging
activity as well as pollen and nectar forager
numbers to be highest in suburban gardens,
intermediate in forests and low in plantations.
Foraging patterns further differed between
seasons, but seasonal variations strongly
differed between landscapes. Sugar and pollen
intake was low in plantations, but contrary with
our predictions, it was even higher in gardens
than in forests. In contrast, resin intake was
similar across landscapes. Consequently,
differences in resource availability between
natural and altered landscapes strongly affect
foraging patterns and thus resource intake in
social bees. While agricultural monocultures
largely reduce foraging success, suburban gardens
can increase resource intake well above rates
found in natural habitats of bees, indicating
that human activities can both decrease and
increase the availability of resources in a
landscape and thus reduce or enhance bee fitness.

"Climate change is not a new topic in biologyŠ
Observations of range shifts in parallel with
climate change Š date back to the mid-1700s."

Parmesan, Camille. Ecological and Evolutionary
Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics
2006. 37:637-69. First published online as a
Review in Advance on August 24, 2006