[MCN] Nature, May 24 2016: Economics of recycling

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Thu Mar 24 11:37:24 EDT 2016

*The circular economy
A new relationship with our goods and materials
would save resources and energy and create local
jobs, explains Walter R. Stahel.
http://www.nature.com/news/the-circular-economy-1.19594
http://www.nature.com/news/the-circular-economy-1.19594#/loops

*Make recycled goods covetable
To reduce consumption and waste we must overcome
our squeamishness about repurposing pre-owned
possessions, says Bruce Hood.
http://www.nature.com/news/make-recycled-goods-covetable-1.19592

*Circular economy: Lessons from China
The country consumes the most resources in the
world and produces the most waste - but it also
has the most advanced solutions, say John A.
Mathews and Hao Tan.
http://www.nature.com/news/circular-economy-lessons-from-china-1.19593

BOOKS AND ARTS
*Circular economy: Getting the circulation going
In linear economics, objects of desire from
skyscrapers to paperclips are waste waiting to
happen. Now, linearity is reaching the end of the
line: designers are looking to the loop and
redefining refuse as resource.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v531/n7595/full/531443a.html

Table of Contents, this week's Nature
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v531/n7595/index.html

"The bottom line is that tigers need more space,
and one may need to think out of the box, if
tigers are to have a future in the already
stressed landscapes," says senior ecologist
Koustubh Sharma.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/nagpur/Tigers-survive-better-in-large-PAs-Study/articleshow/51502670.cms

  "Š the race between climate dynamics and
climate policy will be a close one Š."

Hans Joachim Schellenhuber. "Global warming: Stop worrying, start panicking?"
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
September 23, 2008  vol. 105  no. 38

"Getting from here to there would require a massive economic shift."

Rachel Pannett and Jeffrey Ball. "Australia Approves Energy Bill."
The Wall Street Journal p.A7, 8-21-2009