[MCN] With Weyerhauser at the table, Sec. Vilack to talk climate-smart ag, forestry

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon May 9 13:27:20 EDT 2016

Media Advisory No. 0028.16 USDA Office of Communications.

Contact:
USDA Office of Communications (202) 720-4623

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack to Announce
Major Investment for Conservation, Results of
Climate-Smart Agriculture Plan at Center for
American Progress

WASHINGTON, May 9, 2016 - THURSDAY, Agriculture
Secretary Tom Vilsack will deliver keynote
remarks and announce a major new investment in
conservation practices that improve soil, water,
plant, animal, air and related natural resources
on agricultural land and non-industrial private
forestlands at the Center for American Progress.
Following his address, Secretary Vilsack will be
joined by executives from Land O'Lakes,
Weyerhaeuser, and the Environmental Defense Fund
for a panel discussion on climate-smart
agriculture and forestry.

Building on the Obama Administration's commitment
to adapt to challenges presented by climate
change, Secretary Vilsack unveiled the Building
Blocks for Climate Smart Agriculture in April
2015, an innovative framework to reduce
greenhouse gas emissions, increase carbon storage
and generate clean renewable energy across the
agricultural sector. On Thursday, Secretary
Vilsack will share the first results of the
Building Blocks framework and the actions USDA
has taken to help farmers, ranchers, and
forestland owners respond to climate change over
the past year.

Since 2009, USDA investments in climate change
research and conservation programs have helped
agricultural producers in the U.S. reduce net
greenhouse gas emissions by approximately 60
million metric tons annually. Using the building
blocks framework, we expect to reduce net
greenhouse gas emissions and enhance carbon
sequestration by over 120 million metric tons of
CO2 equivalent per year by 2025, bringing us
closer to reaching our national goal of reducing
greenhouse gas emissions by 26 to 28 percent
below 2005 levels by 2025.

WHAT:
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack will address
advancements in climate-smart agriculture and
announce a major new investment for conservation
stewardship at the Center for American Progress.
Following his address, Secretary Vilsack will be
joined by executives from Land O'Lakes,
Weyerhaeuser, and the Environmental Defense Fund
for a panel discussion on climate-smart
agriculture and forestry.

WHERE:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, N.W.
10th Floor
Washington, D.C.

WHEN:
Thursday, May 12, 2016
10 a.m. EDT
Members of the media who wish to attend may RSVP here.

--
================== Net Primary Production/Solar
budget for life on Earth

"Only about a tenth of 1 percent of the energy
received from the sun by the earth is fixed by
photosynthesis ...."

"Worldwide it is about the equivalent to the
annual production of between 150 and 200 billion
tons of dry organic matter  ... "

"It is solar energy that moves the rabbit, the
deer, the whale, the boy on the bicycle outside
my window, my pencil as I write these wordsŠ
Expanding human activities are requiring a larger
fraction of the total and are paradoxically
making large segments of it less useful in
support of man."

Woodwell, George.
"The Energy Cycle of the Biosphere."
Scientific American. September, 1970

What causes the inverse relationship between
primary production and export efficiency in the
Southern Ocean?
Frédéric A. C. Le Moigne, Stephanie A. Henson,
Emma Cavan, Clément Georges, Katsiaryna
Pabortsava, Eric P. Achterberg, Elena
Ceballos_Romero, Mike Zubkov, Richard J. Sanders

Geophysical Research Letters
First Published: 7 May 2016

KEY POINTS
o	High productivity low export regions are
widespread in the Southern Ocean
o	This may be due to high surface bacterial
activity and low fecal pellet export in high PP
regions
o	These two processes must be implemented in POC export algorithms
Open Access
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016GL068480/full