[MCN] I have the pdf: Is logging a solution??

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Nov 7 10:37:05 EST 2016

Journal of Forestry  April/May 2008
Forest Management Solutions for Mitigating Climate Change in the United States

Robert W. Malmsheimer, Patrick Heffernan, Steve
Brink, Douglas Crandall, Fred Deneke, Christopher
Galik, Edmund Gee, John A. Helms, Nathan McClure,
Michael Mortimer, Steve Ruddell, Matthew Smith,
and John Stewart

Executive Summary
1st paragraph
Forests are shaped by climate. Along with soils,
aspect, inclination, and elevation, climate
determines what will grow where and how well.
Changes in temperature and precipitation regimes
therefore have the potential to dramatically
affect forests nationwide. Climate is also shaped
by forests. Eleven of the past 12 years rank
among the 12 warmest in the instrumental record
of global surface temperature since 1850. The
changes in temperature have been associated with
increasing concentrations of atmospheric carbon
dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gases (GHGs)
in the atmosphere.

"We demonstrate that wildfire area burned (WFAB)
in the American West was controlled by climate
during the 20th century (1916-2003).    ....
Despite the possible influence of fire
suppression, exclusion, and fuel treatment, WFAB
is still substantially controlled by climate. "

Jeremy S. Littell et al. Climate and wildfire
area burned in western U.S. ecoprovinces,
1916-2003. Ecological Applications, 19(4), 2009,
pp. 1003-1021
"Tree mortality in relatively undisturbed
old-growth forests across the West has risen even
when not triggered by wildfires or insect
infestations."
http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/attach/2014/09/Rocky-Mountain-Forests-at-Risk-Full-Report.pdf
"Drought and heat-induced tree mortality is
accelerating in many forest biomes as a
consequence of a warming climate, resulting in a
threat to global forests unlike any in recorded
history (1-12)."

"   Š.  we conclude with high certainty that
today's forests are going to be subject to
continued increases in mortality rates that will
result in substantial reorganization of their
structure and carbon storage."

Nathan G. McDowell and Craig D. Allen. Darcy's
law predicts widespread forest mortality under
climate warming.
Nature Climate Change. Published online 18 MAY 2015
DOI: 10.1038/NCLIMATE2641