[MCN] (no subject)

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Nov 7 08:44:14 EST 2016

"Our review is focused on recent publications
that discuss the changes in commercial forestry,
excluding the ecosystem functions of forests and
nontimber forest products."

"The response of forestry to global warming is
likely to be multifaceted. On some sites, species
more appropriate to the climate will replace the
earlier species that is (sic) no longer suited to
the climate. Also, planted forests can be
relocated to more regions with more suitable
climates. In general, we would expect planting
and associated forestry operations to tend more
toward higher latitudes, especially from some
tropical sites, should they warm substantially.
Plantations would likely shift toward more
subtropical regions from tropical ones. In the
United States, we might expect to see planted
forest moving northward, with more spilling over
into Canada. In Latin America forest plantations
may shift toward southern Brazil and Argentina.
In some cases the same sites will be used but the
choice of species will change to those more
suitable to the new climate."

Andrei P. Kirilenko and Roger A. Sedjo. Climate
change impacts on forestry.  PNAS © 2007 by The
National Academy of Sciences of the USA.

Full report here: http://www.pnas.org/content/104/50/19697.full

"We demonstrate that wildfire area burned (WFAB)
in the American West was controlled by climate
during the 20th century (1916-2003).    ....
Despite the possible influence of fire
suppression, exclusion, and fuel treatment, WFAB
is still substantially controlled by climate. "

Jeremy S. Littell et al. Climate and wildfire
area burned in western U.S. ecoprovinces,
1916-2003. Ecological Applications, 19(4), 2009,
pp. 1003-1021
"Tree mortality in relatively undisturbed
old-growth forests across the West has risen even
when not triggered by wildfires or insect
infestations."
http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/attach/2014/09/Rocky-Mountain-Forests-at-Risk-Full-Report.pdf
"Drought and heat-induced tree mortality is
accelerating in many forest biomes as a
consequence of a warming climate, resulting in a
threat to global forests unlike any in recorded
history (1-12)."

"   Š.  we conclude with high certainty that
today's forests are going to be subject to
continued increases in mortality rates that will
result in substantial reorganization of their
structure and carbon storage."

Nathan G. McDowell and Craig D. Allen. Darcy's
law predicts widespread forest mortality under
climate warming.
Nature Climate Change. Published online 18 MAY 2015
DOI: 10.1038/NCLIMATE2641