[MCN] American kestrels watching as farmers respond to climate change

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed Nov 23 09:43:14 EST 2016

Journal of Animal Ecology - Early Edition - Version of Record online:
21 NOV 2016 |
DOI: 10.1111/1365-2656.12604

You have full text access to this OnlineOpen article

Earlier nesting by generalist predatory bird is associated with human
Shawn H. Smith, Karen Steenhof, Christopher J.W. McClure and Julie A. Heath

American kestrels, inhabiting a mosaic of habitats, nested earlier in
response to earlier prey availability in agriculture, but not
wildlands. Prey in agriculture were earlier because farmers planted
crops earlier following warmer winters. This suggests an association
between human adaptation to climate change and shifts in breeding
phenology of wildlife.

Open Access here:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1365-2656.12604/full
'
'
"To point out that we now live in troubled times is trite. It has
been made clear in many quarters for almost a decade   ...    we have
become conscious of   ...    the energy crisis, the full nature of
which the American public is still only dimly aware   ... The
individual scientist can survive for a long time  by lying low in the
valley of specialized intellectual interest   ...   We in science
must get up and face the wind, confront the future."

William Bevan, "The Sound of the Wind That's Blowing."
American Psychologist. July 1976