[MCN] Wall St Jrnl: Americans still building homes in fire's way

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Sep 27 11:40:24 EDT 2016

Wall Street Journal Sept. 27, 2016

Home Builders, Buyers Venture Into Risky Areas
As wildfire seasons in the Western U.S. have grown longer and
deadlier over the last three decades, the pace of development has
accelerated in areas most at risk.

Full story behind paywall at
http://www.wsj.com/articles/as-wildfire-risk-grows-in-the-west-so-does-home-building-1474931947

"We are constantly deciding how much information is enough." (p. 44)

"Once we finally reach a decision we are relieved to have the
uncertainly of decision making behind us. And now somebody turns up
and tells us things that call the wisdom of that decision into
question again." (pp. 99-100)

Dietrich Dorner. The Logic of Failure: Recognizing and Avoiding Error
in Complex Situations.
1989 in German by Rowolt Verlag GMBH.
1996 in English by Metropolitan Books, Perseus Books.

"If the climate is changing, you're going to see the future forest in
the understory," Dietze says.

"If a species can now migrate in, where previously it was too cold,
you're going to see it in those early stages. Or if it's now too hot
for a particular species, you're going to see the adult trees doing
fine, but that species will not produce seedlings anymore."

http://www.bu.edu/today/2016/studying-climate-change/